Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My pattern box is off of my layer box!
I'm using Gimp 2.8.22. I just brought it up, and the pattern box has vanished from the layer box where it has always previously existed. I haven't done any updates to my computer or any part thereof. I tried looking this up, and found descriptions of drag bars and drag handles that don't seem to exist no matter how much I hover and click and try to drag. Could someone please tell me how to get the pattern box back where it belongs? And maybe how to keep it there? Thanks! :-)
Do you mean the pattern dock tab that is usually next to the brushes tab ?  Might have been accidentally closed and by default Gimp remembers any changes.

Try the little left pointing arrow on the side of the dock.
That will give a drop down menu & the option Add Tab
That leads to a list of what you can add.
Select Patterns and it will add the tab.

How to keep it there ? Same place, that left pointing arrow, there is an option 'Lock Tab to Dock'
(02-25-2021, 02:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Do you mean the pattern dock tab that is usually next to the brushes tab ?  Might have been accidentally closed and by default Gimp remembers any changes.

Try the little left pointing arrow on the side of the dock.
That will give a drop down menu & the option Add Tab
That leads to a list of what you can add.
Select Patterns and it will add the tab.

How to keep it there ? Same place, that left pointing arrow, there is an option 'Lock Tab to Dock'

Hi, thanks for reply! When I clicked that little tab on the layers box, it did in fact give me a list of things to add, and one of them was in fact the pattern thing… but when I clicked to add it, it added it as a separate tab, NOT at the bottom of the layers box where it had always previously been.

Then, I thought that maybe I was supposed to click that little tab on the PATTERNS box… But my last version of that had gotten closed in my previous struggle. I tried to get it back. I put "pattern" in the help box, and was clicking on all kinds of things… And then suddenly, I had this huge box that contained 4 sections, 2 copies of the layers box and 2 copies of the pattern box, all stuck together! I'd never seen this before. I figured if I closed 2 of those tabs, I might be left with what I wanted. It was a struggle, because it kept putting other stuff in those boxes rather than closing, but eventually I closed enough stuff so that now I have the right thing again, although I'm not sure how!

So now that I have this completed thing, I realized that the channels, paths, and undo tabs had ALSO previously vanished, and somehow I'd had layers all by itself. Also, brushes and gradients are now with patterns, and those had previously been missing as well. ( I didn't notice any of these other missing tabs, because I basically never use them.)  Any idea what happened here, LOL?
Quote:....But my last version of that had gotten closed in my previous struggle. I tried to get it back. I put "pattern" in the help box, and was clicking on all kinds of things...

Probably your best bet is
Start Gimp
The first menu top of the macOS Gimp window is 'Gimp 2.8'
Open that, then open the Preferences Option
In Preferences go to 'Window Management' and click on Reset Saved Windows Positions to Default Values
Close then restart Gimp
That did it! It brought back a couple of more controls that I'd forgotten were there, too! I still have no idea how I got where I got, but you fixed it, thank you! :-)