Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MyPaint Brush stopped working after Ubuntu upgrade
I just upgraded my Ubuntu to 22.04.1 and after the upgrade, the "MyPaint Brush" tool in Gimp has stopped recognizing pen pressure. Other brushes work normally, it's just this tool that doesn't have any pressure anymore. I tried deinstalling and reinstalling gimp, but it hasn't worked.
This is the brush library from MyPaint that Gimp can access and use, right? It's been working normally until the Ubuntu upgrade.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?
This using (k)ubuntu 20.04 / Gimp 2.10.32 (from PPA) but with a VEIKK A50 (10"x6") tablet.

That is working Ok here: This the pressure curve:

Which tablet are you using ? 

Possible snags: The version of Gimp. The default from the repo for ubuntu 20.04 is Gimp 2.10.18  22.04 is 2.10.30 You might have a 'buntu snap version or do you use a flatpak.  Those are sandboxed, maybe the tablet drivers are not seen. Although you have the paint tool working so unlikely. Very strange.
Well, a bit of digging. I have a Ubuntu 22.04 VM, not the best tool for checking graphics tablets. However, digging out an ancient Wacom tablet, using the default Gimp 2.10.30 and not much working, if anything, in the way of pressure with mypaint. Checking what is installed and all the Wacom packages installed. Gnome does not have much in the way of GUI so installed the KDE-tablet package. NO TABLET

Looking at the Gimp setup and the Wacom has magically become an xwayland-tablet Wink
Using the old standby xsetwacom give an interesting result. Compare and contrast with the (k)buntu 20.04 at the bottom.

Looks to me like Ubuntu strikes again, moving from Xorg to Wayland. I would consider trying some other distro maybe Mint21 which AFAIK still uses Xorg
or maybe this https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-enable-di...04-desktop

Edit that fixed it here: https://i.imgur.com/adSjc1x.jpg the wacom is back to being a wacom, although being a VM the whole thing is a bit shaky Smile
That's it! My wacom has also been mysteriously turned into xwayland

I used the little gear icon on the login screen to log into "Ubuntu on Xorg" and it works perfectly now, thank you!
[Image: ubuntu-on-xorg-option.jpg]