Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysterious problem with selection and copying
Hello all! I'm having mysterious problem with Gimp that occurred first time around 30.5.2023. Been using Gimp about 15 years now.

The problem: after reopening xcf file, can't select anything.

- The dotted line of selection doesn't show up, even if "Show selection" is checked.
 - When copying the selected area and creating new file or layer out of it, the result is empty transparent layer. (Copy visible has the same result.)  
 - This never occurs on new files, only reopened xcf files.
 - Not all my xcf files have this problem when opening. But it seems to occur randomly, even in files older than 30.5.23.

Solutions I've tried but didn't fix this:

- Reinstall Gimp
 - Reverting into older Gimp version
 - Remove Wacom tablet
 - Remove G'mic
 - Use Cinnamon instead of Xfce working environment
 - Opening the file straight from SSD instead mounting hard drive first
 - Saving as with the option "Save this XCF file with better but slower compression" unchecked

Solutions that kind of worked (a.k.a. more info about the problem) :

- Removing the Gimp's "2.10" config folder (home/username/.config/GIMP/2.10).
At first time this worked. I opened the Gimp and configurated the settings while testing that it was working. (By testing I mean I had opened a xcf file that previously had the problem and successfully selected and copy&pasted part of it.) I configurated the settings in small sections, every now and then shutting down the Gimp, to see which one was the problem, but the problem didn't occur anymore on the session I had the computer open. How ever at next day when I opened the computer again, the problem was present like I hadn't ever resetted the settings. I tried this trick again, but even starting with the "2.10" folder removed, the problem occurred.

- Saving the file as.
I saved the problematic file as filename_test1.xcf and closed the Gimp. Then reopened it and then filename_test1.xcf and it was working. BUT! If I do the same thing while the Gimp is RUNNING, for example save as filename_test2.xcf, it has the problem. (Well, it kind of solves the problem, but it's really impractical to have to do this every time...)

- Using different computer. My spouse has the same operating system, working environment and version of the Gimp. The problem doesn't occur on his computer, even my problematic files work just fine. (...But I need it to work on my computer since it's mine... :D )  

If it mattes, I'm using Linux Manjaro, kernel version 6.1.31-2. Used Gimp 2.10.34-1 when this problem first time occurred, today reverted to Gimp 2.10.32-2 but it didn't fix it.

Any further questions are welcome, I'll try to answer the best I can.  

I really hope someone can find a way to fix this!
Did you check the selection with the Quick Mask and/or the selection editor?

Can you share one of the problem XCF (dropbox/googledrive if >2MB, + link in PM if private).

I assume of course that this is not the problem of 45° selection borders that are invisible due to the way the marching ants are created.
(06-11-2023, 10:21 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Did you check the selection with the Quick Mask and/or the selection editor?

Can you share one of the problem XCF (dropbox/googledrive if >2MB, + link in PM if private).

I assume of course that this is not the problem of 45° selection borders that are invisible due to the way the marching ants are created.

Sorry, I don't use Quick mask or selection editor regularly, so I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. ':D

The selection shows up white in the selection editor, just as the shape of the selection on the canvas. But there is no marching ants on canvas. I can copy the rectangular shape of the selection, but it'll always paste as empty, transparent layer.

Sent you the link to a problem file.
I don't know if this glitch is related to the selection problem, but the glitch's nature is that it occurs just as randomly as the xcf-files decide not letting me select anything.

https://imgur.com/a/m6MGQsi

Like in the image, sometimes when I open the Gimp the tool icons are scaled huge and icons on bottom of Layers-dock are distorted like this. I know for sure that I'm not pressing any shortkeys, etc. while opening.

I might be paranoid but it feels like this happens more often when Gimp is not yet running and I open xcf-file from file browser and or open freshly taken screenshot. (I've set the screenshots to open in Gimp right after captured.) It feels like it happens more rarely when I just start Gimp from the desktop.

Just like the selection problem, this has happened to me only in Manjaro OS, never in Linux Mint or Windows. I'm starting to wonder if my Manjaro installation is somehow screwed up or are all these symptoms of mismatch between Manjaro and Gimp.
(06-22-2023, 12:22 PM)Koivu Wrote: I don't know if this glitch is related to the selection problem, but the glitch's nature is that it occurs just as randomly as the xcf-files decide not letting me select anything.

https://imgur.com/a/m6MGQsi

Like in the image, sometimes when I open the Gimp the tool icons are scaled huge and icons on bottom of Layers-dock are distorted like this. I know for sure that I'm not pressing any shortkeys, etc. while opening.

I might be paranoid but it feels like this happens more often when Gimp is not yet running and I open xcf-file from file browser and or open freshly taken screenshot. (I've set the screenshots to open in Gimp right after captured.) It feels like it happens more rarely when I just start Gimp from the desktop.

Just like the selection problem, this has happened to me only in Manjaro OS, never in Linux Mint or Windows. I'm starting to wonder if my Manjaro installation is somehow screwed up or are all these symptoms of mismatch between Manjaro and Gimp.

I wonder I have two versions installed, that each use a different user profile. A good way to tell if to look at Edit > Preferences > Folders  > Scripts
and note down the two pairs of folders, when you have the big icons and when you have the small ones, and see if they are identical.
(06-22-2023, 04:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I wonder I have two versions installed, that each use a different user profile. A good way to tell if to look at Edit > Preferences > Folders  > Scripts
and note down the two pairs of folders, when you have the big icons and when you have the small ones, and see if they are identical.

Copied my whole "2.10" config folder (home/username/.config/GIMP/2.10) to hard drive while Gimp wasn't glitching and then closed it. Then I caused the glitch on purpose by taking screenshot of random Youtube video (the video was playing at that moment, if that matters) and compared the glitching "2.10" and the previously copied one.

https://imgur.com/a/nSsm8aO

I'm not a programmer so can't decipher what the info in the picture really means. ':D So, if someone wiser can pinpoint the problem and tell what I should do about it. (Or if there is a problem at all?)

Just throwing in: since the glitch is very likely to happen when a video is playing while taking screenshot, could the culprit be GPU? I'm using NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti.
(06-23-2023, 08:48 AM)Koivu Wrote: Just throwing in: since the glitch is very likely to happen when a video is playing while taking screenshot, could the culprit be GPU? I'm using NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti.

That could be an explanation. But on Linux, there are two NVidia drivers, the open source once (aka "Nouveau") and the proprietary NVidia one. Which one are you running?
(06-23-2023, 09:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: That could be an explanation. But on Linux, there are two NVidia drivers, the open source once (aka "Nouveau") and the proprietary NVidia one. Which one are you running?

I'm using the proprietary one.
(06-23-2023, 09:26 AM)Koivu Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 09:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: That could be an explanation. But on Linux, there are two NVidia drivers, the open source once (aka "Nouveau") and the proprietary NVidia one. Which one are you running?

I'm using the proprietary one.

Same for me, and I have never seen the problem ((K)Ubuntu 22.04)
(06-23-2023, 10:33 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Same for me, and I have never seen the problem ((K)Ubuntu 22.04)

Guess the mystery remains for now. :D But anyway, thanks for putting in the effort to solve this!