Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need assistance for "simple" copy and paste
Hi all,

I have a "master" image that will be used as a background and 4 separate images cropped from the same scale (size) image I need to combine these by pasting and aligning them into one image.  Followed by 2 others I need to crop and paste into the main image to show comparisons of the Y scale (blue lines). Every time I copy the cropped images and try pasting them onto the main image the size is changed on the cropped image and no longer correctly aligns with the main image.  This is a task I need to master,  as I need to repeat it hundreds of times.  Any suggestions are welcomed. Two examples are below.

Tnx Bruce
Example of "Main" image: [Image: Dicalb-SP.png][Image: Main.png] [Image: Dicing-SP.png]

I can do a version of this in a clunky way by pasting the images into a PowerPoint slide (or MS Word Doc) and using overlapping images then exporting as a PNG but seems the power of GIMP would be much better.

Perhaps if there is a way to only select the Black section of each cropped image and paste those onto the master background might work, but do not know how to do this in GIMP.  Eons ago with Photoshop, this task was easy.  Alas the old Win7 OS and version of PS I had not longer works int eh 64 bit Win 10 Pro OS.
If this is what you want I solve this by drawing two square paths, one on the main view (named ' Square to paste') and one (named ' Square source') on the information to scale and to move. I used a plugin made by Markku Koppinen also named Ottia Tuota : Perspective Transform - 4 points to 4 points.
http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Perspective_tra...aster.html
After activating this plugin, the 'Dicing-SP lines.png' layer is scaled and moved to the 'Main lines' layer. You can keep the dimensions of the square path on the ' Main lines' layer and use the other square path on the other pages you have to move and scale (if the other pages have other dimensions, just scale this second path (named 'Square source') so it fits on the lines - keep ratio - and run the plugin). You don't have to make new paths, two paths are enough to do the job.  

.xcf   Lines to lines.xcf (Size: 512.51 KB / Downloads: 75)

Quote:and 4 separate images cropped from the same scale (size) image

What do you lean by "the same scale (size)". Gimp works with pixels. if you copy a 100x100 pixels in one image, it will faithfully paste 100x100 pixels in the target. Zoom doesn't change the count of pixels, it just makes them bigger/smaller. Also, the image definition (DPI) is not taken in account.
(12-04-2022, 08:39 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
Quote:and 4 separate images cropped from the same scale (size) image

What do you lean by "the same scale (size)". Gimp works with pixels. if you copy a 100x100 pixels in one image, it will faithfully paste 100x100 pixels in the target. Zoom doesn't change the count of pixels, it just makes them bigger/smaller. Also, the image definition (DPI) is not taken in account.

Tnx for your replies...

I will try the square option and look for the plug-in suggested.

All images used the GIMP screen capture so puzzled why each image would be not at the same pixels and ratios
Why not add each image as a layer?

Smile
(12-05-2022, 01:01 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Why not add each image as a layer?

I was able to do this in a roundabout way in PowerPoint then save it as PNG format and edit a bit using ACDSee photo editing but would prefer to learn how to do this with GIMP.  My old ACDSee is on an older workstation and my new one does not have a license for the updated ACDSee program and do not have the $$ for $150 ish to buy the recent version.

Screen captured all 4 using the GIMP capture, and the original window was always the same size.  But when I tried cropping only the sections I needed and pasting them onto the main layer they were always a different size and the lines did not match so my Y Scale was off.

Ideally, if I could figure out how to ONLY copy the "Black part" and then be able to paste it onto the main layer and then flatten it when done as I did with Photoshop eons ago that will be great.  Then save it as PNG  so it can be included in publications/reports life will be grand.

[Image: All-speceis-final.png]
I am not sure I understand.  Pixels are pixels if the images are the same size in pixels you should be able to copy and paste and make them match.

Have you tried making a fixed pixel size selection rectangle and use that to make your selection and then copy and paste to a new layer or somewhere else?  You can use the measure tool to determine the size in pixels you want your selection rectangle to be.