Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Logo please
Question 
I am looking for some help developing this logo. I cannot manage to get all the shapes made overtop of the font. Can anyone help me do this? Attached are the design idea rough drawing and the font already there. Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-13-2018, 01:01 AM)jpgriffin94 Wrote: I am looking for some help developing this logo. I cannot manage to get all the shapes made overtop of the font. Can anyone help me do this? Attached are the design idea rough drawing and the font already there. Thanks!

This is what I have as of now. I am trying to get thicker lines around the checkered flag and overall clean it up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Are you working with paths ?

Make selections, convert to path, then stroke ?

This kind of logo design is a job for Inkscape. Its doable in Gimp but harder to do.
Especially for the fine tuning steps you are currently dealing with.

I think you are having difficulties with the design because you didnt set up a proper "grid" of guides and elliptical selections that you can convert into a path and stroke.

Gimp offers a lot of help with options like 'Expand from center' and 'Fixed Aspect Ratio' for the Elliptical Selection Tool.
Make sure they all have the same center.
When you got the selection right, convert it into a path in the Selection Menu, then go into the Paths Tab and Stroke it from there.
Work with many layers and subtract bits you dont need with more selections and delete.

You can colourise the stroked paths, with the lock alpha channel option in the layers tab (background must be transparent), and then drag and drop the colour you want.

Quote:This is what I have as of now. I am trying to get thicker lines around the checkered flag and overall clean it up.

Does that mean you are happy with the basic design and just require the thicker border?

Not quite so straight forward with Gimp as it looks. Stroking a selection gives a truncated top corner. To get the sharpness two paths, then path-to-selection subtracted and filled.

For a 10 pixel border, lots of guides and measuring involved.

[Image: vJTLiQr.jpg]

Then it is all about how you assemble the logo. Use plenty of layers, that way you can go back and (easily) make adjustments. Save your work as a Gimp .xcf file that way all layers, paths, guides are retained. Only export when completely finished.

The font you used is a commercial font 'Handel' which I do not have, The font shown is 'Newtown' but saving as a Gimp xcf means that can be replaced when required.

As an example the gimp .xcfgz (compressed, opens straight up in Gimp) attached to play with.

Attached Files
.xcfgz   thickerborder.xcfgz (Size: 68.9 KB / Downloads: 181)
I gave it a go in Inkscape. Some of the charm the original sketch had, gets lost once its all perfectly straight and aligned to a grid.

Yes, best done with InkScape. But if done with Gimp, plenty of occasions where ofn-path-edits and ofn-path-to-shape can help: circles, ellipses, dial marks, finding exact tangents, and cutting/splicing bits together.

Both scripts available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pat...s/scripts/
(01-13-2018, 11:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not quite so straight forward with Gimp as it looks. Stroking a selection gives a truncated top corner. To get the sharpness two paths, then path-to-selection subtracted and filled.

Why not make a path of the outline.
Stroke it.
Activate selection from path, invert and delete ?

Stroke gets only thicker in the inside.

...or is that what you are proposing ? I dont get the guides and measuring part.
Agreed, a better solution
(01-13-2018, 12:50 PM)Espermaschine Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 11:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Not quite so straight forward with Gimp as it looks. Stroking a selection gives a truncated top corner. To get the sharpness two paths, then path-to-selection subtracted and filled.

Why not make a path of the outline.
Stroke it.
Activate selection from path, invert and delete ?

Stroke gets only thicker in the inside.

...or is that what you are proposing ? I dont get the guides and measuring part.

Yes, the miter when stroking path prevents infinite sharpness, but this can be circumvented as Espermaschine says:
 1) create path 2) get a selection from it, 3) stroke the path and admire the pointiness:

(01-13-2018, 09:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 3) stroke the path and admire the pointiness

Thats some first class klingon weapon design from the planet Qo'noS ! Smile

(01-13-2018, 11:26 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: plenty of occasions where ofn-path-edits and ofn-path-to-shape can help: circles, ellipses, dial marks, finding exact tangents, and cutting/splicing bits together.

The radius entry threw me off a bit at first, because the selections you usually convert into paths, are displayed as diameter.