Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Layer: Black. Way to add this?
I'd say I need to add a new black layer about 75% of the time I'm adding a new layer.  So it always struck me as a little odd that you get presented with several default options, but "black" isn't one of them.

All I'm after here is a way to add "black" as a default option so I don't have to sacrifice either my chosen foreground or background color to get it done.
I suppose most Gimp users select either the Foreground or Background option where FG/BG is black and swap colours as required.

However you can always ask the developers for a new feature.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Possible work-around. My favourites drag-n-drop change the FG colour so a simple solid black pattern and bucket fill (ctrl-B) keeps the FG/BG values.
...and of course so does the Fill with: pattern option with create new layer dialogue.

Yep. Guess I'll have to do that.

I reckon the reason why "transparency" and "white" are already options is because providing them ensures that folks don't have to make it a two- or three-step process to get layers of that color. Foreground/background are useful for conveniently applying arbitrary colors, but black really is just as fundamental as transparent/white. Even if black happens to be foreground/background, the user still has to glance over and see which one it is at that moment. Better if they can just pick black.
If you start with a black layer, then black is your background color(*) because:
  • without an alpha channel,  using the eraser paints with the background color
  • if you extend a layer it will be filled with the backrground color
  • if you create a text layer it takes the foreground color by default, if you leave black as the foreground, you won't see much.
And you can tell Gimp to start with FG/BG colors set to white & black instead of black & white... (just set them that way and click "Save options" in the preferences)

In fact what doesn't make sense is the "white" choice Smile
You're no obliged to change your FG/BG color to add a different color from your FG/BG icon

Click on the FG or BG, the "change color FG" or BG window shows up, select a color you want (your FG or BG will change temporarily to the color you've chosen, it does not matter!
now from the 2 bigger rectangles > Drag n drop 1 of them on your new layer, then DO NOT click OK, but click CANCEL
You've kept your FG/BG icon with your favorite colors
As a matter of fact while this window is open you can use brush and change colors on the fly many times without closing this window, once you've finished just click CANCEL on that window and you will keep your original colors on that FG/BG icon

(09-03-2021, 07:28 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In fact what doesn't make sense is the "white" choice Smile

I don't use white as often, but it's still a decently high number.  Often as a base for conveniently working up a layer mask.  (Working on layer masks while they're actually layer masks is flatly less convenient most of the time.)

(09-03-2021, 08:39 AM)PixLab Wrote: You're no obliged to change your FG/BG color to add a different color from your FG/BG icon

More tricks are always nice to know.

Still think that in the interest of pure efficiency, being able to add more options to the "add layer" dropdown would be very useful, and in particular, basic colors that are the basis of most of the app's functionality.
(09-03-2021, 12:32 PM)Asterra Wrote: Still think that in the interest of pure efficiency, being able to add more options to the "add layer" dropdown would be very useful, and in particular, basic colors that are the basis of most of the app's functionality.

Which ones?
I'm asking, because Krita, Pixelitor, MyPaint don't do it... they just give you a transparent layer without asking you anything
(09-04-2021, 02:05 AM)PixLab Wrote: Which ones?

The basis of masks, alpha channels etc. is very typically black, white or both.  Background layers are typically black, white, transparent.  Just speaking from my day to day work environment.

If I were dealing with a different app and it seemed to lack something that feels like it would be useful, I'd be on their forums asking where the feature was hidden.
(09-04-2021, 08:51 AM)Asterra Wrote: ...If I were dealing with a different app and it seemed to lack something that feels like it would be useful, I'd be on their forums asking where the feature was hidden....

Again you can always ask the developers for a feature enhancement.

Remember Gimp is a general purpose application used by photographers with high bit RAW images to pixel artists with 256 colour indexed images (and all in-between). Never going to satisfy everyone.

In the meantime how about asking on a forum for this, let you guess which one Wink

(09-04-2021, 09:49 AM)rich2005 Wrote: In the meantime how about asking on a forum for this, let you guess which one Wink
I suppose the implication is that it's not in Photoshop, therefore it's inherently useless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, I would like to think that a given app's limitations are best not defined by those of a preexisting app.