Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Ask: 1) Select Object? 2) Rectangle line thickness 3)delete path node
I'm running 2.8.22 on Windows 10.

I've watched a few videos and done some Googling but still have some questions...

0 - First I should ask... is Gimp vector based or a bitmap program or what?

1 - Once I create/design a shape with the Path Tool and go on to use the Rectangle Tool to create and Stroke a rectangle... 

How can I "re-select" the shape created with the path tool so I can perform additional edits?

2 - When I use the Rectangle Tool to create a rectangle and Stroke it as a Solid Line... say 5 px...

Why are the vertical lines of the rectangle wider than the horizontal lines? 

(Image area = 1,000 by 1,000)

4 - When I create a closed path with the Path Tool and switch to edit in order to curve the nodes... I saw in one tutorial you could click the node to delete it... but I can't seem to make that work... 

4a - How to delete node on closed path?
4b - Why when I go back to design mode on the path it seems to work like edit mode in that I can click a node and curve it?
4c - I can only seem to move a node by going back to design mode... right?

Thanks for any help.

Fran3
Wow...

Quote:0 - First I should ask... is Gimp vector based or a bitmap program or what?

Gimp is very definitely a raster(bitmap) editor. While there is a path tool Path  any output from Gimp is a bitmap

Quote:1 - Once I create/design a shape with the Path Tool and go on to use the Rectangle Tool to create and Stroke a rectangle...

There is no rectangle tool. There is a Rectangular Select Tool SelectRect  . The selection can be stroked to create a rectangle.
There are additional plugins that can create a shape-path (includes rectangles) that, same as the selection can be stoked to create a rectangle.
This is a nice easy to use one for a newbie to start with: http://registry.gimp.org/node/59 not the most sophisticated around but makes clean paths. There is also a very old standard gimp plugin gfig, Filters -> Render -> Gfig which might do you until you find something else.

Quote:How can I "re-select" the shape created with the path tool so I can perform additional edits?

Generally you can activate the path tool, make sure the path is active, click on the path to show the nodes and handles. 

Quote:2 - When I use the Rectangle Tool to create a rectangle and Stroke it as a Solid Line... say 5 px...
Why are the vertical lines of the rectangle wider than the horizontal lines? (Image area = 1,000 by 1,000)

They are no different unless you have messed about with horizontal and vertical image resolutions. Even then they are still the same number of pixels, only view/render different.

Quote:4 - When I create a closed path with the Path Tool and switch to edit in order to curve the nodes... I saw in one tutorial you could click the node to delete it... but I can't seem to make that work...

Try holding ctlr-shift down, cursor needs to be over the node, cursor icon changes.

Quote:4a - How to delete node on closed path?

Same as above

Quote:4b - Why when I go back to design mode on the path it seems to work like edit mode in that I can click a node and curve it?

Hold the ctrl key down to go into edit mode, click on the node to bring up the handles
or
Click-drag on the path between the nodes to bring up the handles, then adjust the handles.

Quote:4c - I can only seem to move a node by going back to design mode... right?

Yes design and edit modes have different actions.

------------

If you want to enhance path functions then a good additional plugin is Ofnuts ofn-path-edits from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pat...s/scripts/ about 4 down in the list.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Followup:

I asked... "How can I "re-select" the shape created with the path tool so I can perform additional edits?"

You answered "Generally you can activate the path tool, make sure the path is active, click on the path to show the nodes and handles. "

I use the path tool to create a closed path and stroke it... then use the rectangle selection tool to draw and stroke a rectangle elsewhere on the screen

Next I Open the Path Dialog Box and double click on my original closed path and see the nodes lite up on the path...

BUT... when I move one of the nodes it appears to actually be a copy of the original closed path as when the node is moved I can still see the original path below it ??

So, I apparently am not doing something right... my goal was to re-select the original path and relocate some of its nodes and modify the shape.

What am I missing?

Thanks again for the help.
Quote:BUT... when I move one of the nodes it appears to actually be a copy of the original closed path as when the node is moved I can still see the original path below it ??

So, I apparently am not doing something right... my goal was to re-select the original path and relocate some of its nodes and modify the shape.

Are you seeing the stroke (bitmapped pixels) from the original path.

Gimp is a raster editor. There are no "objects" as in say Inkscape (or have you been using PS)

Always work on layers. Delete the original layer. Make a new layer. Stroke the revised path.
Ah ha. New Layer... got it.

FYI, I've been using Inkscape and Corel Draw and Corel Paint.

I was hoping to drop Corel and go to Inkscape for Vector and Gimp.raster/bitmap.. or do you have another suggestion?

And yes, I have to remind myself that there are no objects in Gimp... just like on a more simple scale PC Paint.

Thanks again for your help.