Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
- Newbie confused -
Question 
Hey everyone,

So I am sure this gets asked all the time, and I apologize if I add to the number of times but even after all the research I have done, I am still not entirely convinced I have put the scripts and plug-ins in the correct places. Below is two screenshots from Edit/Preferences/Folders/Scripts and also /Plugins

What I am ultimately confused about is the GIMP I have installed and run is

I have two folders labeled "2.0" and "2.10" that contain the plug-ins and scripts I've downloaded, I ended up putting them into both folders because I couldn't seem to get it to work any other way. Although most of them seem to work, I'm not sure what the difference is between these two folders. I'm hesitant to delete either one and test it out myself, as it took me way to much time to get everything working correctlycorrectly. If anyone could provide information or insight into this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
It would help if you give the version of linux you have installed such as Ubuntu 22.04 or Mint 21 or Debian 10 .... there are any number of linux's Then if that installation is anything different such as a linux in a chromebook for example.

Back to the question. That first bit /home/c in linux can be abbreviated to ~ (that is your home folder/partition)

So the best place to put your scripts is ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/ and the same for any of the other resources; plug-ins / fonts / brushes / ... there is a folder for each.

You can put them in the /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/share - for scripts / brushes / palettes but why make things difficult for yourself. The same for plug-ins /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/

For linux plugins, either binary or somename.py, these need to be executable. You can usually set that using the file browser, what you get depends on the linux version.

When it comes to python plugins, there can be a snag. The most recent linux does not support the python2 required for them. There are fixes but that is another story.

Lets start off with the version of linux you use. If you are not sure, in a terminal lsb_release -a might tell you.
(02-14-2023, 07:12 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It would help if you give the version of linux you have installed such as Ubuntu 22.04 or Mint 21 or Debian 10 .... there are any number of linux's  Then if that installation is anything  different such as a linux in a chromebook for example.

Back to the question. That first bit /home/c in linux can be abbreviated to ~ (that is your home folder/partition)

So the best place to put your scripts is ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/ and the same for any of the other resources; plug-ins / fonts / brushes / ... there is a folder for each.

You can put them in the /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/share - for scripts / brushes / palettes but why make things difficult for yourself. The same for plug-ins /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/

For linux plugins, either binary or somename.py, these need to be executable. You can usually set that using the file browser, what you get depends on the linux version.

When it comes to python plugins, there can be a snag. The most recent linux does not support the python2 required for them. There are fixes but that is another story.

Lets start off with the version of linux you use. If you are not sure, in a terminal lsb_release -a might tell you.

Hey bud, thanks for the reply. Here is the contents of my /etc/os-release

PRETTY_NAME="Parrot OS 5.2 (Electro Ara)"
NAME="Parrot OS"
VERSION_ID="5.2"
VERSION="5.2 (Electro Ara)"
VERSION_CODENAME=ara
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian

Here is the output of lsb_release -a as well
Distributor ID:    Parrot
Description:    Parrot OS 5.2 (Electro Ara)
Release:    5.2
Codename:    ara

And I figured it was better to put them in one, for some reason I couldn't ever get them to work unless I put them in both folders though.

What exactly do you mean by "make things more difficult for yourself". If you are talking about the fact of having things in two places for no good reason , then yes I completely agree lol.

The main reason I decided to ask this question is because I started getting error messages with some of the plug-ins/scripts. Honestly, it could be on my end entirely, I have seen a few where it gave an error message because I didn't have the correct setup for the plug-in/script to even run (layer wasn't active, etc.). But again, I assumed the error messages for other issues were most likely because I have them in two spots and it's probably conflicting somehow. I was always to paranoid to delete them out of one directory to test it out because I didn't want it to not work again.

But either way, thanks again for the reply, and if there is any more information you need just let me know. Appreciate it!
Well, Parrot OS is a new one on me Smile however Distrowatch says

Debian (Testing)
Origin: Italy
Architecture: x86_64
Desktop: KDE Plasma, MATE
Category: Forensics, Live Medium, Security

Unlikely that the Gimp 2.10.22 has python support. If you look in Gimp, towards the bottom Filters menu list there might be one or two entries which tell you what you have Python-Fu and Script-Fu

Quote:What exactly do you mean by "make things more difficult for yourself"

Well to put files into the system folders you need to be root, much easier to deal with your Gimp User Profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/ . However, if you have duplicated them, Gimp will use the version in your User profile.
(02-14-2023, 07:51 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Well, Parrot OS is a new one on me Smile however Distrowatch says

Debian (Testing)
Origin: Italy
Architecture: x86_64
Desktop: KDE Plasma, MATE
Category: Forensics, Live Medium, Security

Unlikely that the Gimp 2.10.22 has python support. If you look in Gimp, towards the bottom Filters menu list there might be one or two entries which tell you what you have Python-Fu and Script-Fu

Quote:What exactly do you mean by "make things more difficult for yourself"

Well to put files into the system folders you need to be root, much easier to deal with your Gimp User Profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/ . However, if you have duplicated them, Gimp will use the version in your User profile.

I am only seeing Script-Fu. 

Quote:Well to put files into the system folders you need to be root, much easier to deal with your Gimp User Profile ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/ . However, if you have duplicated them, Gimp will use the version in your User profile.

And yes you are right, I forgot about that. It has been a few months since I have done it but it definitely sucked lol. I switched over from Windows a few months ago and have been running Linux exclusively since then. So a lot of things have become a blur lol.
If there is no 'Python-Fu Console' under 'Filters' then python is not working. What happened is most Linux versions have dropped python2 while Gimp still doesn't support python3.

One workaround is a Gimp launcher that adds-in python2 support.
Hopefully the fuse-overlay-launcher will work for your OS.
(02-16-2023, 09:14 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: If there is no 'Python-Fu Console' under 'Filters' then python is not working. What happened is most Linux versions have dropped python2 while Gimp still doesn't support python3.

One workaround is a Gimp launcher that adds-in python2 support.
Hopefully the fuse-overlay-launcher will work for your OS.

Hey, that worked! Thanks a lot.