Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newsprint Options
I am new and just downloaded Gimp.  When I greyscale a photo then Filters, Distort, Newsprint I do not get the options to come up.  It simply converts to the newsprint so I'm not able to set resolution, etc.  I can't seem to find how to turn the options feature on.  Hope someone can help me.  Thanks much.
Well, I am packing in for the day, however, just a couple of questions. Somebody might have a clue.

You are using Gimp 2.10.22 from gimp.org ?
The menu entry Filters -> Distorts -> Newsprint looks like this. ? https://i.imgur.com/T9tPkwk.jpg
Do you have gimp in single window mode ? (There is a tick-box in Windows -> Single Window Mode and it is possible to hide a dialogue under one of the separate windows but very-very unlikely)
Do you have a multi-monitor setup and could the dialogue be hiding off-screen. ?

Otherwise, I do not know. No need to convert to greyscale first, the filter has both greyscale and colour modes.
Besides all tips by Rich, the plugin dialogs can 'disappear' if your mouse is configured to 'raise window on hover' (my windows is localised, hope you can understand).
Check: peek on task bar--does Gimp show 2 windows?
If so, you can: * try to catch the plugin window and bring it forward, as shown in Rich's image; * change mouse configuration...
I can't figure it out. Shouldn't be that complicated. I watched a You-Tube video on laser photo engraving and it looked like a nice option to me. I followed his method which I watched several times and made notes. I simply downloaded the software and didn't change any options. Simply cannot find a way to change the resolution on the conversion to newsprint like he did where the options screen just came up on its own. Your online manual shows it coming up just like it did in his video.
It is not complicated.

Quote:.... I simply downloaded the software and didn't change any options...

Then somehow it is your Gimp installation. The GEGL filters display immediately on canvas.   If for some reason the GEGL dialogue is hidden or off screen then when you change to another tool the filter is applied.

As before, it could be a hardware issue, two monitors, a 4k monitor, maybe a problem with a graphics tablet.

You can try a reset for window positions. Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management then a click on Reset Saved Windows Positions to Default Values
or since it is a new installation
Delete your Gimp user profile, the folder.   C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP  Start Gimp and it makes a new default profile.

Always a last resort, a different compile of Gimp 2.10 from http://www.partna.com