Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newsprint filter or other method?
Hey Folks,

I am hoping I can get some help with recreating an image into a "hatch" file that consists only of black and white lines or dots. Attached is an attempt of mine to create this using the Newsprint Filter. The problem with my attempt is the areas of greyscale. I need something that is simply and only full black and full white. The width and frequency of the lines will convey the image brightness. 

An example of what I'm attempting is shown in this YouTube video, where the author uses a CNC program to recreate an image of Steve Jobs with the black and white hatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOYCy6h...dex=1&t=1s

About 4:50 in the video shows a closeup of the final product, showing how the image is portrayed with full black and white. 

Is this possible in GIMP? I appreciate the help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reduce the Anti-alias oversampling factor

But know that it won't be as smooth as in the video, here we are speaking about image composed with pixels, in the video it's a real life made thing.
Anti-alias is too smooth the pixels out...

Anyway an example with pure black&white and Anti-alias oversampling factor at the minimum (it's a zoom out of the screenshot above)

(05-15-2022, 06:44 AM)PixLab Wrote: Reduce the Anti-alias oversampling factor

But know that it won't be as smooth as in the video, here we are speaking about image composed with pixels, in the video it's a real life made thing.
Anti-alias is too smooth the pixels out...

Anyway an example with pure black&white and Anti-alias oversampling factor at the minimum (it's a zoom out of the screenshot above)

That did it! Awesome, thank you! I wasn't sure what Anti-Alias did. I tried it a few times, but it didn't appear to make any difference. Perhaps I wasn't looking closely enough. I ran the same conditions with Anti-Alias at 1 and couldn't see any grey-scale at all. 

Appreciate the help.
There are a few solutions for this issue and this is also one :
1 - If you want lines under a certain angle rotate the image first  (Image / Transform / Arbitrary Rotation)
2 - Then use :  Filters / Distorts / Engrave  
3 - Then smooth the result using : GMic-Qt / Repair / Smooth (Antilias) Amplitude 73, Edge Threshold 50 , Smoothness 2.5
If needed, use the Qt-GMic filter a second time with the same settings (or use different settings)
Original :

Result (zoomed out) :

Detail :

(05-16-2022, 08:13 AM)denzjos Wrote: There are a few solutions for this issue and this is also one :
1 - If you want lines under a certain angle rotate the image first  (Image / Transform / Arbitrary Rotation)
3 - Then smooth the result using : GMic-Qt / Repair / Smooth (Antilias) Amplitude 73, Edge Threshold 50 , Smoothness 2.5
If needed, use the Qt-GMic filter a second time with the same settings (or use different settings)
Original :

Result (zoomed out) :

Detail :

Tried...
I don't get your result (the third thumbnail), at all, I get your second thumbnail which has grey in it (not the OP expected result), but I cannot get at all your third thumbnail with your method above. Huh
(05-16-2022, 12:57 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(05-16-2022, 08:13 AM)denzjos Wrote: There are a few solutions for this issue and this is also one :
Original :

Result (zoomed out) :

Detail :

Tried...
I don't get your result (the third thumbnail), at all, I get your second thumbnail which has grey in it (not the OP expected result), but I cannot get at all your third thumbnail  with your method above. Huh

The photo of the dog included as an example in the post is smaller than the original photo (1600 x 1600 - search on the internet 'dog face')