Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Gradient, No Bucket fill
I have no idea why every youtube video shows gradient option, I have none of those options I use GIMP  2.10.36 and I have given up so I am just gonna ask for help here.

I want this image  all the end parts to fade in the pink background, gimp is beyond complicated
also the guitar edges should fade into pink if thats possible

Attached Files Image(s)

If you can't see gradient tool check Edit > Preferences > Tool Box and uncheck 'Use tool groups'. That's what I do.

The gradient tool is tricky to use. I selected the pink background by > foreground color (in the toolbox) then used the eyedropper next to 'HTML notation'.
Now your image background is your foreground color.

Then Gradient tool and use 'foreground to transparent'. Click around the guitar and take it left. I hold the shift key down but maybe don't have to. You will have to experiment with this tool Smile also went right and up with new gradients.

(12-21-2023, 08:52 PM)mariah701 Wrote: I have no idea why every youtube video shows gradient option, I have none of those options I use GIMP  2.10.36 and I have given up so I am just gonna ask for help here.

I want this image  all the end parts to fade in the pink background, gimp is beyond complicated
also the guitar edges should fade into pink if thats possible

If you think Gimp is complicated, so are all the alternatives except perhaps etch-a-sketch.

It is easy to lose the docks and hide all the tools. If that happens and you do not know why, then reset to the default Gimp windows using  
Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Window Management -> Reset Saved Window Positions to Default Values

In use, it is also possible to hide everything using the TAB key. Use the TAB key again or in the Gimp Windows drop down menu, you can restore it there.

Even if you have all the tools and docks showing in the Gimp interface, they are all available from the main Gimp menu. It is just a matter of looking through the Tools menu or the Layers menu or...just have a look. Slower than using point-n-click but there you are.

This a 50 second animation of setting up your image for a bit of erasing, avoiding the tools dock. https://i.imgur.com/vMaJjNW.mp4
Toggle hide docks on off
Make a new layer
Find the color picker tool and pick that pink color.
Find the Bucket Fill tool and fill that new layer
Drop that layer down using the Layer -> Stack menu
Really you do need the layers dock to switch layers but for a jpeg that needs transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel

To blend the subject into the background, yes I would use a layer mask, selection and a gradient. It is a good method. 

However the beginner way might be use the eraser tool with a large fuzzy brush and carefully erase around the edges uncovering that pink layer you just made. Something like this: another 50 second animation. https://i.imgur.com/7YSFcGJ.mp4

To remove the white background you don't need to detour like you did if the original BG is white... just change the blending mode over your new background color
And if there is white becoming pink on the person, duplicate your image put it at the bottom under the BG, put a white mask on the background layer and paint black on the mask

Patrice