Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Way to Enter File/Folder Address?
(08-19-2022, 03:10 PM)LacLaBelle Wrote: I use Gimp a LOT. One of my biggest annoyances with the program is the frustrating inability to save or open files from the program by entering a speciifc file or folder path into the save or open browser. This is a standard feature on literally every other software file browser I have ever used. 

Navigating by clicking folders is fine for casual use, but I have a lot of files in a lot of places, and sometimes you have a folder open in Windows Explorer, that's a real pain to navigate to, and the only option is to click and search folder by folder to save a new project you've already started. Particularly on LAN servers, there is no way to access the server from the Gimp browser. You have to save a file locally and copy it over, then open the file externally from the Windows Explorer window. 

Bookmarks are fine if you use some common locations, but I am always using different folders and file paths. 

Am I crazy, or is there really no way to do this?
Just fill in the path on 'open location'

(08-19-2022, 04:27 PM)denzjos Wrote: Just fill in the path on 'open location'

At least on Linux, you can also do File ➤ Open and paste (Ctrl-V) a full path and the file selector with move there and select the file.

A different approach is to start from the explorer and either drag the file to Gimp or use the right-click menu in the explorer.