Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No boxes for transparency
I think I did something wrong with " Preferences ", either that or something related to the system. Now when I cut a piece of the image, I get the background colour instead of chess boxes style pattern.

Everything was fine last day. Is there any option to fix it ? Thanks.

[Image: etjXPGH.png]
Your layer does not have an alpha channel.
Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel
Or
Right click on the layer in the layers dialogue and Add Alpha Channel

Note: If the layer name is in bold there is no alpha channel. Makes it easy to see.
Is it just the set of images I am using now ? I thought I messed up some GIMP settings.
Ninja'd while making some screenshots so here it is in pictures Wink

You need an alpha channel to provide 'transparency' Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel  If that entry is greyed out then you already have the alpha.  An indication in the layers dock is the layer name. Bold is no Alpha, regular is with alpha.

No alpha and cutting / erasing does use the BG colour. Best if you leave it white, The colour does remain as information in a PNG (depending on export options)

Unlikely in this case but alpha can be displayed in various ways Edit -> Preferences -> display

edit: Just seen

Quote:Is it just the set of images I am using now ? I thought I messed up some GIMP settings...

The alpha channel is per layer for any particular image. Saved in the xcf Gimp file
Very helpful. Smile

Looks like it is those images. Got me confused while editing. Thanks all.