Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting lighting effects around an arch
Photo 
Hi all,

I am trying to get some highlights/shadows going on around this arch on my doorway, similar to what I have on the trim you see above.  I am not finding any simple way to do it, and in fact with every way I have tried I've ended up running into roadblocks.  Can anyone recommend the best, easiest, or most straightforward way to do this?

[Image: gimp.jpg]
I'm not quite sure what effect you are wanting, so I made a guess at this.
(Look at the layers in the xcf one at a time to see what each contains.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   ArchHiglights1.zip (Size: 819.47 KB / Downloads: 115)
(09-03-2019, 05:25 AM)Darth_Sceptaurus Wrote: Hi all,

I am trying to get some highlights/shadows going on around this arch on my doorway, similar to what I have on the trim you see above.  I am not finding any simple way to do it, and in fact with every way I have tried I've ended up running into roadblocks.  Can anyone recommend the best, easiest, or most straightforward way to do this?

I think you want something like this.

The door frame bumpmapped. The frame is a little bit on the narrow side, could be wider. Simple? It is once you understand the fundamentals.
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-filter-bump-map.html

Attached the ' bumped' frame and associated bump-map which was applied to the 'flat frame' The bumpmap determines the shape, could just be a simple rounded effect.

Attached Files
.gz   doorframe.xcf.gz (Size: 77.23 KB / Downloads: 124)
(09-03-2019, 07:21 AM)Blighty Wrote: I'm not quite sure what effect you are wanting, so I made a guess at this.
(Look at the layers in the xcf one at a time to see what each contains.)

Thanks for your reply.  If you look at the red trim piece above, you can see how I was able to add shadow and highlights.  I did this by using guide lines and the paint brush with a low opacity.  The problem is I can't do this around an arch, so adding detail to this particular area is very difficult, especially if I were to try it free-hand.  Does that make sense?

(09-03-2019, 08:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 05:25 AM)Darth_Sceptaurus Wrote: Hi all,

I think you want something like this.

The door frame bumpmapped. The frame is a  little bit on the narrow side, could be wider. Simple? It is once you understand the fundamentals.
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-filter-bump-map.html

Attached the ' bumped' frame and associated bump-map which was applied to the 'flat frame' The bumpmap determines the shape, could just be a simple rounded effect.

Thanks for your reply!  That actually looks pretty good, and if all else fails it may be a viable solution.  The issue I'm having, as I explained to Blighty, is that adding these shadows and highlights are fairly easy using guidelines as I did on the trim piece you see above the door, however there's no way I know of to add a curved guideline, so I would have to try to do it free-hand, which wouldn't offer the precision I'd like.  I want to make the texture around the door frame match the trim piece above as closely as possible.
Quote:...however there's no way I know of to add a curved guideline, so I would have to try to do it free-hand, which wouldn't offer the precision I'd like. ...

Maybe make a (visible) path, use it as a guide.