Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Numerous malfunctions with 2.8.22 on Ubuntu 16.04
I have an Ubuntu 16.04 box and am using a Wacom tablet CTL 480.  

Problems

1) the program sometimes changes color when I am drawing.  Mostly it is the second color in the two color rectangles in the toolbox. 
2) sometimes the erase function does not work or you get a color from it, the colors coming from the color rectangle in the tool box.

I can fix this temporarily sometimes by closing GIMP, also by deleting devicerc.  Sometimes I can fix the problem by disabling the tablet by editing the input devices. disabling if enabled or enable if disabled.

These problems are occurring with maddening frequency.   I hate to have to learn another program but these problems making using GIMP very annoying.

Any assistance much appreciated.
Is this just a continuation of your previous post

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-delete...29#pid4729

Is the setup same as previous? bluetooth mouse, tablet - what sort of connection, wired/wireless ?

Have you considered that it might be a hardware rather than Gimp problem

I believe Krita works well with a tablet, might be worth a try.
(01-16-2018, 12:33 PM)garyartista Wrote: 2) sometimes the erase function does not work or you get a color from it, the colors coming from the color rectangle in the tool box.

Does your image have an alpha channel? If not, the Erase Tool will erase to the background colour.
A related problem is that Gimp remembers a different foreground and background color if you are using a mouse and a tablet, so if you switch between mouse and tablet the colors instantly change. I found this very strange.
(01-16-2018, 01:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Is this just a continuation of your previous post

Is the setup same as previous? bluetooth mouse, tablet - what sort of connection, wired/wireless ?

I added issues, but the erase problem continues.

(01-16-2018, 02:15 PM)mholder Wrote: A related problem is that Gimp remembers a different foreground and background color if you are using a mouse and a tablet, so if you switch between mouse and tablet the colors instantly change.  I found this very strange.

I do not switch between them unless in an effort to get GIMP working properly again.

(01-16-2018, 01:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Is this just a continuation of your previous post

Nautilus has been a bit strange lately, otherwise everything else is working correctly.
(01-16-2018, 02:15 PM)mholder Wrote: A related problem is that Gimp remembers a different foreground and background color if you are using a mouse and a tablet, so if you switch between mouse and tablet the colors instantly change.  I found this very strange.

Edit>Preferences>Tools options>Paint options shared between tools
(01-16-2018, 04:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:

Edit>Preferences>Tools options>Paint options shared between tools
I don't think that is the same thing. 

Those preference settings, for example, work when switching from a paintbrush to a pencil to an airbrush, so all tools keep the same tool options.  Switching from input devices, like mouse and tablet, is different I think.

In my tests, Gimp remembers different FG/BG colors, brush tips, dynamics, etc.
I found this on the Gimp site

Known Regressions

GIMP 2.8 relies on a newer version of GTK+2 that unfortunately has partially broken support for graphics tablets such as Wacom. If your graphic tablet doesn’t work in GIMP 2.8 as it should, we recommend downgrading to 2.6 until we release GIMP 3.0 that relies on GTK+3 which has fully functional support for advanced input devices.

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.8.html

I'll try going back to 2.6

garyk

I do not think installing 2.6 is a good idea. It is pretty old.
Not that much difference between 2.6 and 2.8, though.