Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opacity
I open an image as a layer, create alpha channel then, when I slide the opacity to the left I get the checkerboard pattern instead of the image gaining less transparency. Can't remember having this problem before. I've fiddled with the settings and had a search around the forum but haven't found a solution.
Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bry
The checkerboard is the underlying visual cue that an image area includes transparency.
(05-23-2021, 12:28 AM)neurolurker Wrote: The checkerboard is the underlying visual cue that an image area includes transparency.

Thanks for the quick reply. So you are saying that the checkerboard will disappear when I export the image as a .png?
Quote:I open an image as a layer, create alpha channel then, when I slide the opacity to the left I get the checkerboard pattern instead of the image gaining less transparency. Can't remember having this problem before.

Maybe you had a 'solid' layer underneath in previous work

You can change the alpha representation from checker to plain in Edit -> Preferences -> Display the the drop down Transparency see:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Change...0#pid23330

Quote:So you are saying that the checkerboard will disappear when I export the image as a .png?

As with everything, depends. Viewing on its own, all depend s on the viewer. Some support alpha representation. some do not. 

Then If the image goes on a web-page depends what is underneath in the way of background.  Printing of course, the colour of the paper shows.
Thanks Rich. I'm getting your girl on the right.
I load the image as a layer, add alpha. I want 50% opacity but when I push the slider to the left, I get the pattern.
Make a new layer. Move it to the bottom or at least under the layer you made 50% opacity. Fill that with white.
Is that what you expect ? Export that as a png and the layers are merged.

Edit: Just wondering what you intend to with the 50% opacity image. Is it to add over some other image ? Maybe you should keep it with the alpha as-is. The checker pattern only exists inside Gimp (or some image viewers) as an indicator. It is not real. Wink
Thanks again Rich and sorry for the delay. I'm in the 3rd World and WiFi isn't that reliable here.
The first attachment is my rough concept for a book cover. The doll's head is what I want at 50% Opacity to give it an "out-worldly" feel. What you don't see here are the dolls eyes (see second attachment), which will be bright blue, somewhat cross-eyed and not at 50% Opacity. Getting the eyes right will be more of an accident rather than accomplished by design. I have all ready tried a dozen attempts and not got it right yet.
My idea is do the dolls head first. Get it right and then add it to the background. That means reducing the doll's head to 50% Opacity and then add the blue eyes, each on its own layer.
That make sense to you? Or am I doing this the hard way (as usual!)
Much thanks,
Bry

Attached Files Image(s)

You want a ghostly head peering down ?   Throwing some possibilities in.

1. Instead of a layer mask (which I generally go for) that head image works quite well with color-to-alpha. Interesting shapes. (if required layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha ChannelColors -> Color-to-Alpha   Do not worry about the checker pattern.
2. Into the background image with it. Set a 50% layer opacity. 
3. A "ghostly" possibility is C2G `Colors -> Desaturate -> Color to Gray.

4. Eyes and head into a layer group. Eyes separate on their own layer. Play with color curves to brighten (make staring eyes).
5. With a layer group you can transform the contents as one. Used the 3D transform change 'looking down angle' (not sure I am happy with that) .

Anyway some thoughts for you to consider.
Above and beyond the call of duty!
Thanks so much for all of this, Rich. Some interesting possibilities that I want to explore. Please allow me some time to work through these ideas, experiment a little, then get back to you with my results.
Again, much thanks,
Bry
Oh, I might have an additional question or two. Sorry.
Hi Rich, trying to send four attachments but get the following:

Request Entity Too Large
The requested resource does not allow request data with POST requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit.