• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Image Dialog Location Field Slashes
Windows 7
Gimp 2.10.36

Protocol:
  Click File/Open...
  Click the "Type a file name" button
  Enter a file path in the Location field
  The path has forward slashes (/), not the Windows back slash (\).
  Gimp ignores.
  Change the forwards to backs.
  Gimp accepts.

Is that worthy of a bug report?
(12-05-2023, 03:43 AM)Punchcard Wrote: Windows 7
Gimp 2.10.36

Protocol:
  Click File/Open...
  Click the "Type a file name" button
  Enter a file path in the Location field
  The path has forward slashes (/), not the Windows back slash (\).
  Gimp ignores.
  Change the forwards to backs.
  Gimp accepts.

Is that worthy of a bug report?

It's not a bug, It's adapted to the system you are using > and you are using the Microsoft's one...
Forward slashes are for Linux, BSD, MacOS, all unix alike system, and even more.

Microsoft forgot to put a folder/hierarchy system back then when they put out their first MS-DOS and IBM did not want to change their forward slash already in use for MS-DOS 2, thus the backward slash for Microsoft's OS, even if Microsoft wanted to put the forward slash, but IBM as their biggest customers did rule out the forward slash for MS-DOS 2, thus they are stuck now..

It can be all BS what I'm saying about history of MS-DOS, anyway > Every one is coming with their own thoughts and don't agree, some say it's because of CP/M others say it because of TOPS-10 others because of whatnot...
Some links if you're interested
https://www.os2museum.com/wp/why-does-wi...separator/
https://superuser.com/questions/176388/w...rd-slashes
even a 2 minutes video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3IJfBfBmI
Those are quick searches, all those links are to take with a lot of rock salt
Patrice
Quote:Enter a file path in the Location field

Why not just find the file by clicking and navigating the little file manager in the pop-up box?

PixLab is right. All of Windows is a sub-set of a backslash and all of unix is a sub-set of a forward slash.
I think Windows spent too long hiding the command line and then hiding the file manager from it's users.
Sorry folks but you are wrong. The backslash is mostly a CLI thing, on the Windows API, the forward slash can be used as a path separator (if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant).
(12-05-2023, 09:19 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Sorry folks but you are wrong. The backslash is mostly a CLI thing, on the Windows API, the forward slash can be used as a path separator (if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant).

OP is on Windows 7, Steve Ballmer was still the Microsoft CEO in 2009 for Windows 7 getting on the shelves (up to 2014).
You know Ballmer was that guy who said that "Linux is a cancer ...//...", then in 2015 with a new CEO, Microsoft completely change direction and even gave money to the Linux foundation...

I'm saying this because in 2009/10 (the year I ditched definitively Microsoft for vey-very good), Microsoft was far to even think to be POSIX compliant, but I'm not anymore sure now after your comment.
Thus one question, when or which Windows version start (to want) to be compliant to POSIX? (I could not recall that the forward slash did ever work using CMD to navigate between folders with later XP nor Vista, although I can not recall to have ever used them for that purpose))
Patrice
(12-05-2023, 06:30 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:Enter a file path in the Location field
Why not just find the file by clicking and navigating the little file manager in the pop-up box?

Because I have a file with a couple thousand lines that contain file paths like this: Q:/photo/image-005.tif (produced by exiftool).
Changing the /'s to \'s gives gimp's Open Image dialog something it understands.
However, copying/pasting from my file into gimp's Open Image dialog is exhausting.
So I wrote an emacs tweak that sends the file path to gimp via the shell command "gimp -a".

Interestingly, if the starting file path is Q:\photo\2023-005.tif, emacs passes this to the command shell: "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe" -a Q:/photo/2023-005.tif
Emacs has replaced my file path's \'s with /'s, and gimp's command receiver accepts that.

I am indebted to the gimp programmers who gave gimp a command line receiver.
I am indebted to all the gimp programmers and documenters.  Gimp is a work of genius.

My emacs tweak:
(defun rjd-rungimpatpoint ()
  "Runs gimp -a on the filepath at point.
   Blanks in the file name require quoting."
  (interactive)
  ;Tested only on Windows 7 64 bit  Gimp 2.10.36  Tue 12/05/2023
  ;Change the path to the gimp executable to your gimp's path.  Alternatively, set a variable to the path.
  ;The \ are a concession to Windows.
  ;You might wish to use async-shell-command
  (shell-command (concat "\"C:\\Program Files\\GIMP 2\\bin\\gimp-2.10.exe\" -a " (ffap-file-at-point) " &") nil nil)
)

(12-05-2023, 01:49 PM)PixLab Wrote: [quote pid='36891' dateline='1701767954']
I'm saying this because in 2009/10 (the year I ditched definitively Microsoft for vey-very good),

In 2015, my attempt to "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10 bricked my motherboard.  I decided to fire Microsoft. I installed ubuntu, dual boot, but it is infuriating.  E.g., displayed characters are too small.  I get the impression that even in 2023, unix/linux is in the hands of children.  But I'm still trying.
(Sorry to go off topic, but I haven't forgotten.)
[/quote]
(12-05-2023, 01:49 PM)PixLab Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 09:19 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Sorry folks but you are wrong. The backslash is mostly a CLI thing, on the Windows API, the forward slash can be used as a path separator (if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant).

OP is on Windows 7, Steve Ballmer was still the Microsoft CEO in 2009 for Windows 7 getting on the shelves (up to 2014).
You know Ballmer was that guy who said that "Linux is a cancer ...//...", then in 2015 with a new CEO, Microsoft completely change direction and even gave money to the Linux foundation...

I'm saying this because in 2009/10 (the year I ditched definitively Microsoft for vey-very good), Microsoft was far to even think to be POSIX compliant, but I'm not anymore sure now after your comment.
Thus one question, when or which Windows version start (to want) to be compliant to POSIX? (I could not recall that the forward slash did ever work using CMD to navigate between folders with later XP nor Vista, although I can not recall to have ever used them for that purpose))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem
(12-06-2023, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Oh... yeah, they did it a little bit to be illegible for the US gov, now I understand your "if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant" Big Grin
And I suppose it's the bare minimum to keep their contracts with the government...
Patrice
(12-06-2023, 11:33 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Oh... yeah, they did it a little bit to be illegible for the US gov, now I understand your "if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant"  Big Grin
And I suppose it's the bare minimum to keep their contracts with the government...

I think you meant "eligible", though "illegible" carries a certain relevance.
Anyhow, to move closer to the topic, forward slashes are better than backward slashes.  The forwards promote advancement and progress; the backwards impede.  Rolleyes The Open Image dialog ought to be hospitable to forward slashes.
@Punchcard , indeed I meant "eligible" Big Grin
Patrice