Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Image Dialog Location Field Slashes
(12-06-2023, 12:47 PM)Punchcard Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 11:33 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_POSIX_subsystem

Oh... yeah, they did it a little bit to be illegible for the US gov, now I understand your "if only because Windows tries to be POSIX compliant"  Big Grin
And I suppose it's the bare minimum to keep their contracts with the government...

I think you meant "eligible", though "illegible" carries a certain relevance.
Anyhow, to move closer to the topic, forward slashes are better than backward slashes.  The forwards promote advancement and progress; the backwards impede.  Rolleyes The Open Image dialog ought to be hospitable to forward slashes.

Also, the backward slash is very awkward to type on AZERTY keyboards, and in code, you often have to double it.

The horror in the story is that in PC-DOS/MS-DOS 1.x,  command line arguments could start with either / or the Unix-like -. Then DOS 2.0 introduced directory trees and to avoid ambiguities with the / in arguments, they went with h the \ as a path separator and the /as a command prefix, dropping the - in the process. So with the right person at the right IBM-Microsoft meeting, we could have Unix-style path names in Windows.
Quote:Because I have a file with a couple thousand lines that contain file paths like this: Q:/photo/image-005.tif (produced by exiftool).

Changing the /'s to \'s gives gimp's Open Image dialog something it understands.

I'm wondering what filesystem Q drive is formatted with? Is it a filesystem windows doesn't understand but Gimp does?
(12-06-2023, 07:38 PM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:Because I have a file with a couple thousand lines that contain file paths like this: Q:/photo/image-005.tif (produced by exiftool).

Changing the /'s to \'s gives gimp's Open Image dialog something it understands.

I'm wondering what filesystem Q drive is formatted with? Is it a filesystem windows doesn't understand but Gimp does?

Drive Q is an external (USB) SSD, NTSB.
The issue, such as it is, has the feel of a shortfall in parsing the file path.
If I must complain, I suppose I could claim gimp ought to have told me it disliked my file path.
Of course, if gimp calls a built-in Windows parser, it relies on error status from the parser.  If the parser reports there is nothing in the field, gimp can do nothing.