Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open as layer from file manager (dolphin)
Hi,

I often work through a list of many images in two or three versions that I want to combine. I know I can use Gimp's menu to open images as layers, but I would like to do this from my file manager (here on Linux, dolphin): select the images -> open with -> Gimp as layers

Is this somehow possible to add to the context menu of dolphin? If so, how?

(
To explain:

I have a large list with fileA.png, fileA-v1.png, fileA-v2.png, fileB.png, fileB-v1.png ...
I have this list open in dolphin.

Right now I select e.g. the 3 fileA versions, open with -> Gimp, have 3 windows, copy ...v1 and ...v2 as layers to the original, close v1 and v2, do the work in the now layered image, save that, delete v1 and v2 in dolphin... open the next set...

I do this from dolphin because the files stay selected, I can delete the versions I don't need anymore directly and thus keep track of which images still have to be worked, without the need to remember the last file name. While in Gimp's dialog I cannot delete files, must remember which files come next, and must scroll down in the list to select them.

So it would be nice if I somehow could have a possibility to open dolphin-selected files directly as layers. It would save me the steps of copying and closing windows.
)

Thanks for hints!
I do not think that is possible, at least using Dolphin and file associations.

You would need to have the ability to have an -open-as-layers switch for the Gimp command and that is not available.

see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2807
Just drag/drop the group of selected files from Dolphin to the canvas of the target image (it must be an image canvas the canvas, if you drop elsewhere on the Gimp Gimp it will open them as separate images).
(03-04-2024, 01:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Just drag/drop the group of selected files from Dolphin to the canvas of the target image (it must be an image canvas the canvas, if you drop elsewhere on the Gimp Gimp it will open them as separate images).

Thanks you, that makes it a bit easier :-)
(03-04-2024, 01:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Just drag/drop the group of selected files from Dolphin to the canvas of the target image (it must be an image canvas the canvas, if you drop elsewhere on the Gimp Gimp it will open them as separate images).

Dropping them In the layer dialog, they will open as layer, you will see a horizontal line below or above the image/BG in the layer dialog depending where you will drop them
Patrice
(03-04-2024, 04:34 PM)PixLab Wrote:

Dropping them In the layer dialog, they will open as layer, you will see a horizontal line below or above the image/BG in the layer dialog depending where you will drop them

Even better...