Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening image caused GIMP to resize itself off the desktop
All,

Do I see correctly a change in how the primary GIMP UI behaves? I don't ever recall this happening with 2.8.x but it certainly does happen with GIMP 2.10.x (I used 2.10.8 for these screen shots).

Issue: When I open an image, GIMP will resize its primary UI window based on some attribute of the image size and often (!) I end up with the left side of the GIMP window drawn off screen.

Screen cap one -- no image open, GIMP primary window almost filling the display (sorry, this is large as I have a 2560x1440 display).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajbimjgldfca01...t.png?dl=0

Screen cap two -- image opened and now the left side of the GIMP window is off the left edge of the desktop.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pqkig8mulzrgv...t.png?dl=0

I hate this. And it happens a lot. Now to use GIMP I have to move the main GIMP window to the right so see Tools on the left. Very annoying. I've looked through the Preferences and I don't find any option that seems related to "fit image to primary display size" or something along these lines.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Quote:..I have to move the main GIMP window to the right so see Tools on the left. Very annoying. I've looked through the Preferences and I don't find any option that seems related to "fit image to primary display size" or something along these lines.

Does that mean you have dual-monitors?

You could try, without any image upon, size up the window and docks the way you want them

Then in: Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management
untick Save window positions on exit
enable Open windows on the same monitor they were open before
clock on Save Window Positions Now
click on OK.

[Image: NOZnYNq.jpg]

might/might-not work
rich2005 - I do not have dual monitors, only one very large one (acer 24" HD display 123ppi at 2560x1440 resolution). Which makes this behavior even more remarkable -- I have a very, very large desktop. Yet GIMP often, on image open, is "drawn" off the left edge of this very large desktop. With the image linked to below, I have to grab the right edge of the GIMP window and drag it leftwards enough so that I can use the titlebar to move the window to the right so I can see and use the left tool docks. This is the image that's in the second screencap of my original post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8wlcgbm0zvhdf...P.jpg?dl=0

Alas, your suggestion does not change this behavior. You've been doing this a long time. Does this behavior not happen for you with 2.10.x? When I used 2.8.x any image I opened was zoomed to "fit" the available window. From the View menu is an option to do this same thing View > Zoom > Fit Image in Window. My recollection is this was the default GIMP behavior in 2.8.x. It is not the default now.
Quote:..When I used 2.8.x any image I opened was zoomed to "fit" the available window. From the View menu is an option to do this same thing View > Zoom > Fit Image in Window. My recollection is this was the default GIMP behaviour in 2.8.x. It is not the default now

It is the same setting in gimprc for 2.8 and 2.10 (initial-zoom-to-fit yes) which is the default value. Maybe the code has changed or maybe a bug. Trying to edit anything in Windows with notepad is a PITA so gave up. A new day, back to old techniques.

A possible workaround.

Open Gimp 2.10 & size it up to your usual requirements. Determine the largest canvas that will open from the rulers. Make a new canvas that size. Now open one of your large images. Does the edge of Gimp go off the monitor? If it does back to the drawing board.

If it does not, then you can automate that blank image to start with Gimp. This screen shot the opposite of your situation, A small Windows 10 Virtual machine. Save the blank image somewhere, add the path to the image at the end of the Gimp shortcut. https://i.imgur.com/CUPfpFp.jpg

That has always worked here but no guarantee elsewhere. https://i.imgur.com/87VZUuB.jpg

----------
A matter of usage philosophy but for a long time, first thing I do is set Gimp up the way I want it to open.
Then (Gimp 2.10) untick the three save on exit options tool options and input devices for the tool box set-up and window management for the overall gimp size and of course use save options now for each.

A more recent addition is setting a keyboard shortcut for View -> Zoom -> Fit Image in Window which by default is not assigned.
(12-30-2018, 10:22 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That has always worked here but no guarantee elsewhere. https://i.imgur.com/87VZUuB.jpg

----------
A matter of usage philosophy but for a long time, first thing I do is set Gimp up the way I want it to open.
Then (Gimp 2.10) untick the three save on exit options tool options and input devices for the tool box set-up and window management for the overall gimp size and of course use save options now for each.

A more recent addition is setting a keyboard shortcut for View -> Zoom -> Fit Image in Window which by default is not assigned.

And it also works here! Brilliant! Now, I cannot click-and-drag to open an image (GIMP thinks I want to add it as a layer), but I'll not quibble over that as long as I don't have to resize the entire window when I open a image.

I explicitly added (initial-zoom-to-fit yes) to my AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\gimprc file but it made no difference.

Like you, the first thing I do is setup my docks, etc. I once saw a tutorial where the user had all the docks on the left side with the tools on the right in a two-wide palette [Heh! Just realized this may be you I'm talking about LOL]. I liked it and began using it and it is now my preferred way to set GIMP up.

Thank you, again. Very much appreciated.

Should I submit a bug report since the "zoom-to-fit" on initial image load is not working?
Quote:...Now, I cannot click-and-drag to open an image (GIMP thinks I want to add it as a layer)..

There is a dedicated spot for drag-and-drop (aka drag-n-wish in Windows) The top of the toolbox.

This used to annoy some users in Gimp 2.8 so the developers added the ability to disable in Gimp 2.10

Still there in your setup, very small, but it does work

edit:
Quote:Should I submit a bug report since the "zoom-to-fit" on initial image load is not working?

A few tests (using linux). I have both Gimp 2.8.22 and Gimp 2.10.8 Both set up in almost the same way, very traditional tools/options one side - one vertical strip of docks the other side.

Opening the same wide image in each and the Gimp 2.10 increase in width is due to the tools/options being slightly wider due to extra icons. I suspect that the extra dock  (navigation/undo/selection and layers/channels/paths) is causing the problem.

If you do submit a report include all the details, I suspect the developers will be using a similar layout to me and not see the problem.
rich2005 - that spot is enabled. Thanks for drawing my attention to it.