Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlapping Paths
If you look closely, in the `Commercial Script EF Medium" the middle tooth/branch/arm of the big E is filled on the text layer, but has a hole in my version. And guess what, the text layer is wrong since there is actually a loop in the pathSmile It took me a while to figure out that the difference between your layer and mine wasn't entirely my fault.

This said, with the latest improvement, the script has become quite slow, it may need a few optimizations here and there before going out in the wild.
Wow, nice catch!

Looks like the accuracy of of the algorithm isn't a problem any longer.
So, I did some optimizations. The LED font path had its execution time divided by 10 and its memory usage by... 100 (it gobbled up almost two GB creating one channel per stroke (ie, per LED light).
I threw that LED font in there as it seemed like an extreme case. I was thinking more about how many overlaps it had and the complexity of it, but never thought about the performance implications. Glad you are wrangling it into submission.
OK, script on SourceForge. See specific thread here.

Fun script to write, in addition to all the text path peeping done above, I had to learn to
  • determine the rotation direction of a polygon
  • determine if a point is inside a polygon
  • extend the slice operator [::] on Python lists
Plenty of conference calls these days Smile
I'm glad that was fun for you. I would've pulled my hair out and never finished. LOL

Let me know when you're ready for the next mind bender. Big Grin
And to think, akovia, your project ends up blessing the entire GIMP Kingdom. Most of us see intersecting loops and end up doing this one letter at a time, and NOW we'll never have to do that again, ever! Many thanks for your presenting the problem so everyone else benefitted. And many MORE thanks to the brilliant mind of Ofnuts!

P.S. My mother has a smooth forehead and my ancestors were cowards, but I get to use the script! BTW, Ofnuts, do you speak Klingon?

(05-15-2020, 08:05 PM)mahvin Wrote: BTW, Ofnuts, do you speak Klingon?

Klingon and script-fu are the dark side of the Force for me...