Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlaying images
Photo 
Could anyone help me with a list of instructions of how to overlay two images to make one., I know this is an easy task but I am totally new to image manipulation software and am struggling to achieve a good result? Many thanks to anyone that can spare the time to help out.

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It depends what you want ; For a simple composition (the clown image is put in front of the tent image), a short summary :

1) open the tent image
2) open the clown image as a layer : File > Open as Layers...
The clown layer is big compared to the tent, so  you need to downscale it
3) Tools > Transform Tools > Unified Transform : downscale and reposition the clown layer
Now you need to make transparent some part of the clown layer to see the tent behind
4) Layer > Mask > Add Layer Mask... choose "white" in the list
5) Paint (using any paint tool) on the mask with black color to hide pixels; white color to reveal pixels

Layers Masks tutorial : https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/
Unified Transform Tool doc : https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-...sform.html

You should be able to obtain something like this:

Another solution. Load the two images as layers (File / Open as layers) and make the layer with the tent invisible, that is easier to work. Make the layer with the clown the current layer. Select the white with the fuzzy select tool (I used 7 Threshold). The white flowers on the head are not full selected but I use the round selection tool to add the selection (CTRL or SHIFT to subtract or add selection). There are some spots on the white that you can unselect the same way the press the 'delete' button on your keyboard. Then reverse the selection (Select / Invert). Then, to remove the white around the clown, use Select / Shrink (I used  value 2). Now you can move the clown anywhere you want or shrink it.    

Thank you so much, I will try this today.