Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlaying? (noob question)
I do not know the proper term for this, but I'm trying to do something in Gimp that I cannot figure out how to.

I have tried the normal overlay, but when you do that it uses the color under your new layer to find out what your color should be. This makes it so that if I had a red color and overlay it with blue, it turns purple.

What I want to do is to overlay a color that only overlays the nuance differences. So it would still be blue, but it would follow the nuance differences that the red had in the underlaying picture. How do I do this?
(02-28-2018, 10:19 AM)Quod Deum Immortalem Wrote: I do not know the proper term for this, but I'm trying to do something in Gimp that I cannot figure out how to.

I have tried the normal overlay, but when you do that it uses the color under your new layer to find out what your color should be. This makes it so that if I had a red color and overlay it with blue, it turns purple.

What I want to do is to overlay a color that only overlays the nuance differences. So it would still be blue, but it would follow the nuance differences that the red had in the underlaying picture. How do I do this?

Something like the "value" mode, I think.  You can also duplicate the layer and put the copy in "saturation" mode. Adjust opacity of layers to tune the effect. If the blue layer is a plain uniform layer, you can also use Colors>Map>Rotate colors to transform a range of reds into a range of blues.
(02-28-2018, 10:27 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 10:19 AM)Quod Deum Immortalem Wrote: I do not know the proper term for this, but I'm trying to do something in Gimp that I cannot figure out how to.

Something like the "value" mode, I think.  You can also duplicate the layer and put the copy in "saturation" mode. Adjust opacity of layers to tune the effect. If the blue layer is a plain uniform layer, you can also use Colors>Map>Rotate colors to transform a range of reds into a range of blues.

Nevermind, after a bit of playing around (literally 5 minutes) I found it. And it's so obvious it's hilarious. It's the 'shade' option when you create a layer. At least that's what I think it's called in the english version, I use another language.
(02-28-2018, 10:41 AM)Quod Deum Immortalem Wrote: Nevermind, after a bit of playing around (literally 5 minutes) I found it. And it's so obvious it's hilarious. It's the 'shade' option when you create a layer. At least that's what I think it's called in the english version, I use another language.

Nothing like a "shade" option. An alpha-channel for opacity? A layer mask?
Darken Only ?