Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selection Tools and Quick Masks
I am very new to GIMP (about a week) but have been working with Linux for years.  Have been co-opted into a
group recovering and digitising several thousand pages printed in the 1930's. Some pages text and rust stains
only, other pages have monochrome images too.  Am seeking guidance on three subjects.
1. Killing ants? Am using the Selection Tools to isolate the rust marks but cannot find how to remove the ants
    after using brightness/contrast to remove the marks.
2. Selecting Colors/Brightness-Contrast brings a popup box that often obscures the image I am trying to fix.
    Can this box be moved ?
3. Trying to use Quick Mask to isolate the monochrome pictures while I work on the text. This is OK for one
    picture but some pages have two or three.  Can we  have multiple masks ?

Searched the Manual but found no advice on any of these queries. Others in the group are using Photoshop.
Thanks,
Tux.
(02-21-2019, 03:40 AM)TuxfordC Wrote: 1. Killing ants? Am using the Selection Tools to isolate the rust marks but cannot find how to remove the ants
Use Select > None

Quote:2. Selecting Colors/Brightness-Contrast brings a popup box that often obscures the image I am trying to fix. Can this box be moved ?
Yes, it can be moved like any window. Drag on the title bar.

Quote:3. Trying to use Quick Mask to isolate the monochrome pictures while I work on the text. This is OK for one picture but some pages have two or three.  Can we  have multiple masks ?
Yes
If using Quick Mask just paint on a second mask.
If using the selection tools: in the tool options set the Mode to "Add to the current selection"
Also: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Painle...tion-tools
Thank you indeed for the quick responses.
Tux.