Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDF export: Layers groups as pages?
Hello,
I've seen a video where someone exported a PDF file with one layer group per page. Say layer group 1 contains: Text1, Text2, and white background. The resulting PDF in this video has all three components on one page.
However, when I export this example layer group, I get a PDF with 3 pages, one for each layer of the layer group.
Is there a way around this?

I'm using Gimp 2.10.24 and Win10 64 bit.

Regards.
Is this just a single layer group or are there multiple layer groups each containing text + text + whatever ?

1) For a Gimp image containing a single layer group and export to a single PDF page just untick Layers as pages... in the Export PDF dialogue.

There is a problem with Gimp especially when using unusual fonts for the text. Display the PDF on a computer that does not have the fonts installed and default replacement font is used. This also applies when you use PDF format to send to a printing company.

or

2) Make a backup .xcf file. Flatten the layer group in the working image. Layer -> Merge Layer Group  The layer group then becomes a single layer without any text properties. Export as a PDF, it is only a single page.

The downside is possible loss of quality, so make sure the original image size has a suitably high ppi ( say 300 ppi) and overall pixel dimensions.
Sorry to harp on about Gimp and PDF but truthfully it is not great at the moment.
Thank you for your fast reply!
In reality there are multiple layer groups, one for each page of the PDF I am building (8 as of now) with text layers etc. in them.
Merging to a single layer per page was my go to solution, but like you said there is some loss in quality.
There are alternatives to Gimp

Inkscape is a vector editor but you can import a bitmap from Gimp and add the text over it. Each set of text is an object much the same as a layer. Export as a PDF and the text is correctly embedded. Only one page at a time so you need a PDF merge application to assemble.

Scribus DTP. Frame based so add Images (from Gimp) frames and Text (from a text editor) frames to each page. Makes good PDF's.
Alright I'll take a look at them, thank you.