Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suddenly drop shadows are too light
Without changing versions of GIMP drop shadows went form being the color selected to being very light versions of the color selected.  I am using layer/layer effects/drop shadow  I have opacity at 100% all the settings are ones I have used many times and it worked fine.  Now all of a sudden the color used for the drop shadow is not the one selected but a very light version of it.  I have included a screenshot.  I am using GIMP 2.10.12 I know everyone is going to say to upgrade to latest version.  However this happened with no changes to GIMP and the last time I upgraded I lost some features.
Where is your screen shot? is the blend mode still on multiply?

Smile
You have a Reset button (yellow arrow), did you try it?
Few things to check (red arrows),
Also, is you layer in the layer stack in "normal" mode?

(07-28-2022, 05:46 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Where is your screen shot? is the blend mode still on multiply?
I am unable to post a screenshot.  This forum will not allow it.
(07-29-2022, 01:23 PM)PixLab Wrote: You have a Reset button (yellow arrow), did you try it?
Your screen is completely different than mine.  I have tried all the blending modes.  Sometimes ring works other times it does not.  I just did two different text boxes the only difference was the font was slightly smaller in the second one and no drop shadow in the second one.  But I get one in the first.  It randomly works on occasions.  It used to work all the time.  I have not updated GIMP.  The last time I did was when the drop shadows stopped working.  Then they started working again.  And now they have stopped working again.  I think I need to go back to an earlier version where drop shadows worked.
(08-03-2022, 10:38 PM)Klawdek Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 05:46 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Where is your screen shot? is the blend mode still on multiply?
I am unable to post a screenshot.  This forum will not allow it.
(07-29-2022, 01:23 PM)PixLab Wrote: You have a Reset button (yellow arrow), did you try it?
Your screen is completely different than mine.  I have tried all the blending modes.  Sometimes ring works other times it does not.  I just did two different text boxes the only difference was the font was slightly smaller in the second one and no drop shadow in the second one.  But I get one in the first.  It randomly works on occasions.  It used to work all the time.  I have not updated GIMP.  The last time I did was when the drop shadows stopped working.  Then they started working again.  And now they have stopped working again.  I think I need to go back to an earlier version where drop shadows worked.

This forum allows you to post your image, but the max size is 500kb, see how to post ➤ https://www.gimp-forum.net/misc.php?action=help&hid=11

Sometimes ring works other times it does not.
We do need to see a full screenshot, it's been a year or so that I try to answer questions on forum about GIMP, not a lot of experience doing this but until now I can safely say that 99.99% of the time it's a user mistake/inattention when they say "it's not working anymore or time to time".
What I'm trying to say is ➤ you don't need to uninstall nor change GIMP version, I'm sure your GIMP is fine, post a full screenshot here (or go to https://imgur.com and post the link here), with the text layer where drop shadow does not work activated (the popup filter window activated as well like my screenshot) and then we will be able to help without guessing what could be the problem