Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Padding Selection
Something I have always been curious about is why selection tools can reach out into the padding past the canvas. The adjustment handles land past the canvas edges and I can't think of a reason why that would be useful. I'm sure someone has an answer though.

I believe an option to Constrain to Canvas Edges would be useful. Then you could over-select with a tool and grab the adjustment handles right where you want to make the adjustment. It's a small thing but seems much more intuitive to me. 

Anyone else ever thought this too?

When you want to make a half-circle along one of the canvas edges, you have to create a circular selection that extends outside the canvas.

The selection is clipped to the canvas anyway.

You can use View>Snap to canvas edges
(10-07-2019, 06:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: When you want to make a half-circle along one of the canvas edges, you have to create a circular selection that extends outside the canvas.

I haven't needed that capability yet but that makes perfect sense of course. Exclamation

(10-07-2019, 06:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The selection is clipped to the canvas anyway.

Indeed, but the handles aren't. As I said before, it's a small thing, but one that I have noticed for years and wished I could change the behavior for my workflow. After more thought I think it should constrain by default and have an option to Allow Growing like the crop tool. A key modifier might be nice but I doubt there are many modifiers left for the selection tool.

(10-07-2019, 06:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can use View>Snap to canvas edges

I always have that set but you still have to get within a few pixels of the edges for it to work. If you are zoomed way out, this can be difficult to get right.

I did some digging and found this reference where this is a problem for a different reason. It's not my use case but another instance where an option to constrain would be be beneficial. I wasn't sure if this was something worthy of a feature request which is the reason a posted in the first place. I'm still not sure, but I have a better picture of it all now.

Thanks!