Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partial desaturation and other processes with a car
From this:

To this:

One reason of the processing is the rather busy and uninteresting background (all buildings from the early 2000s) that distracts from the car.

Preprocessing:
  • Straighten the picture using the measure tool, taking the corner of the building across the street as a reference (best take the reference near the center of the picture because it is not subject to perspective convergence, and anyway the facade of the building to the right isn't vertical...)
  • Crop the picture to taste
  • There is a large blue flower pot to the right that creates a nasty blue reflection on the fender. Fixed by sampling the car color, and painting over the pot reflection  in "Lch color" mode.
Then it goes like this:

• Make a path around the car (about 120 points)
  • Make a path around the windows (everywhere they are transparent or reflect something)
  • Using the windows path as a selection, copy/paste the windows on another layer
  • Make a copy of the image and colorize it (Colors> Colorize). The color is picked to have a hue about 180° from the car color (car color is H=240°, so colorization uses H=60°)  
  • Duplicate that colorize layer and  blur the copy
  • Create a selection from the outline path (Path to selection), and subtract the windows path (Subtract from selection)
  • On the initial image, create a layer mask and initialize it to the selection. You should end up with the car in original color over the "sharp" colorized layer
  • Add a layer mask on the colorized layer, and make a gradient to go from  a sharp image in the front to a blurred background
  • Adjust the opacity of the windows layer so that transparencies and reflections are between the original colors and the colorized background.
Nice explanation.

Off topic but had one of those (briefly) about 1968 - ish. Not quite as pristine Wink
Renault Dauphine, nice model in his years. Becaues the background behind the car is a little out of focus, I would add a little out of focus at the back of the car. A quick change : 

(09-06-2023, 10:47 AM)denzjos Wrote: Renault Dauphine, nice model in his years. Becaues the background behind the car is a little out of focus, I would add a little out of focus at the back of the car. A quick change : 

Nope... You get a blurry car with a very sharp edge...  doesn't work. And the whole point of that processing is to put the natively sharp car in front of a subdued background (the background is blurry because I made it so...)
My first car I could buy in my yonger years, Italien and red. 

Good job with the windows. But IMHO the far side of the roof was cut a bit short so you have a desaturated strip there.
Ofnuts, thank you for the response. Because the original environment was green there are green reflections on some places on the car and the green reflection at the border of the roof is one of them. It takes a lot of work to correct all the green reflections. The original photo is as big as the one I posted, so there are jpg distortions. This just proves how difficult it is to place an object in a different or modified environment
(09-21-2023, 08:51 AM)denzjos Wrote: Ofnuts, thank you for the response. Because the original environment was green there are green reflections on some places on the car and the green reflection at the border of the roof is one of them. It takes a lot of work to correct all the green reflections. The original photo is as big as the one I posted, so there are jpg distortions. This just proves how difficult it is to place an object in a different or modified environment

If you use a path, you can still tell where the roof ends and make the path follow that. And once you have the path, you can fix these reflections by painting them in HSL Color mode using a color sample in a clean part of the car.
@Ofnuts, I had used different colors on a path on the car roof, but the result was unrealistic. After blurring the colored path I had to make a nice not to sharp border on the upper side and was still not satisfied. As an in between project in my other projects, I still try to get a better result. Thanks for the respond.
(09-22-2023, 09:13 AM)denzjos Wrote: @Ofnuts, I had used different colors on a path on the car roof,

Uh? What do you use the path for? How is it related to a color?