Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasting an object onto a background
Hi,

First time user here and pretty new to Gimp.

I have a bit of a perplexing problem.
I have created an object with a transparent background, which I want to paste against other backgrounds.

When I paste him as a new layer over a solid color, such as magenta, he looks fine.

But when I paste him over a complex background, such as a park, he looks semi-transparent! In other words, the background is showing through the pasted object.
The opacity of the pasted layer is at 100%.

I had made a similar cutout  of a different pose and pasted him on another background without this problem.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Please help! I need to get this done today!
Could it have something to do with the scaling? The object is much larger than the background and I had to scale the layer to about 30% to make it fit. I've since merged everything and printed it out and it doesn't look too bad, so maybe there's not an issue after all.
Hard to tell without screenshots (with a visible layers list). Possibly a problem with the layer blend mode.
(07-09-2021, 11:41 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Hard to tell without screenshots (with a visible layers list). Possibly a problem with the layer blend mode.
Yep, indeed!
@rosm2004 > The way the background of that object was removed is also important, for example color to alpha shows this behavior.
Thank you @ofnuts and @PixLab for your replies. I will post pics when I get a chance - had to get it finished and problem isn't that noticeable for my purposes at this point but would like to find out what I'm doing wrong for the future.
I redid the cutout (using various methods to remove the background) and repasted it as a layer onto the park background and scaled it down. This time it overlayed fine, with no transparency. I have no idea what I did differently. I had the blend mode set to normal in both instances. I hadn't preserved the layers in the image with the original problem so am not able to do a screen shot showing the bleed-through. @ofnuts I might have hit "color to alpha" by mistake. I don't know what it does.

Thanks again for your responses. I have it working now, so is no longer an issue. Just hope I can avoid making the same mistake in the future. A lot of it has to do with me being a novice to Gimp (had worked a bit with Photoshop previously but not very experienced) and bumbling around watching YouTube videos trying to figure out how to get things done.