Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasting loses color
My guess is the image had a blue background and OP tried to remove it with colour to alpha.
This results in a partial transparency of the dark gray (or perhaps black) stroke.
(12-07-2019, 06:49 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 05:03 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Everything dark grey in that image has a slight transparency to it.
Colour to alpha accident perhaps ?

Yes... Looking at the image in the OP and the attached, it seems Marigolden tries to copy-paste the "mouth" from the attached XCF to another image with a white backrgound. In the attached image that mouth is partially transparent so when pasted over white it gives gray.

Marigolden, here is your image over a "hi-vis" pattern, it is obvious that there are opacity issues. And there is also a blueish halo...

Ohh.. okay I get it, thanks for figuring that out for me! I pulled up the original image and it doesn't have that transparency issue. I wonder what I did with it hmm..I tried to see if I made the mistake of fuzzy selecting the background then deleting it and adding the alpha channel after the fact, and again deleting the background, but that didn't work..so yeah not sure. Here it is if anyone's interested.

(12-07-2019, 08:45 PM)marigolden Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 06:49 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 05:03 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: Everything dark grey in that image has a slight transparency to it.
Colour to alpha accident perhaps ?

Yes... Looking at the image in the OP and the attached, it seems Marigolden tries to copy-paste the "mouth" from the attached XCF to another image with a white backrgound. In the attached image that mouth is partially transparent so when pasted over white it gives gray.

Marigolden, here is your image over a "hi-vis" pattern, it is obvious that there are opacity issues. And there is also a blueish halo...

Ohh.. okay I get it, thanks for figuring that out for me! I pulled up the original image and it doesn't have that transparency issue. I wonder what I did with it hmm..I tried to see if I made the mistake of fuzzy selecting the background then deleting it and adding the alpha channel after the fact, and again deleting the background, but that didn't work..so yeah not sure. Here it is if anyone's interested.

Strange I had to post that as a separate reply because it wasn't showing up when I edited the reply with the 2nd file..

Attached Files
.xcf   gimpcloudoriginal.xcf (Size: 161.64 KB / Downloads: 86)
To remove the background properly:

1) fuzzy-select the background (standard threshold)
2) Select>Grow by 1 pixel
3) add alpha channel if necessary (on 2.10)
3) Color>Color to alpha and remove the background color (use the sampler button in C2A)

See here for the reasons...
(12-07-2019, 08:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: To remove the background properly:

3) Color>Color to alpha and remove the background color (use the sampler button in C2A)

Wow next level! I'll refer to this technique next time.
(12-07-2019, 08:55 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: To remove the background properly:

I have noticed though it does cut into the picture more, it's especially noticeable if there's a really thin detail in a figureSad For that reason I'll not usually use this method. But it's very useful to have on hand