Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pasting without resizing layer boundary (new behavior in 2.10???)
I have a layer which is 600x600 (size of a passport photo), and I paste a larger image (a person's portrait), which I resize so the person's face fits in the boundary.  Other parts of the photo (e.g. above the head and below the neck) are not relevant for this purpose.

It used to be (2.8.xx) that after my resizing and then finally anchoring the selection to that layer (clicking outside the pasted area), the pasted part of the image outside the layer boundaries was cropped out.

However, I just updated to 2.10, and when I paste the image to the layer, the layer's boundary adjusts to the size of the pasted image.  I tried locking the layer, but then I can't paste into it.  Is there some setting to revert to the previous behavior??  Huh  I depended on the window/auto-crop behavior, which gave me exactly the size image I needed.
Looks like the non-destructive cropping (new in 2.10.20). This is controlled by a "Delete cropped pixels" setting in the Crop tool options.

However, when you export an image to PNG/JPG, it is cropped to the part that is visible in the canvas.
(06-16-2020, 06:53 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Looks like the non-destructive cropping (new in 2.10.20). This is controlled by a "Delete cropped pixels" setting in the Crop tool options.

However, when you export an image to PNG/JPG, it is cropped to the part that is visible in the canvas.

Thanks for the reply.  Very interesting.  It seems like that option would be entirely relevant (and the its newness why my Google searching didn't yield much), but I tried it and it doesn't appear to apply to pasted images.  I don't actually use Crop for this operation.  I just paste an oversize image into a smaller fixed layer size.  Is there another setting for paste, so the operation acts like the "delete cropped pixels" setting in Crop?
Quote: I just paste an oversize image into a smaller fixed layer size. Is there another setting for paste, so the operation acts like the "delete cropped pixels" setting in Crop?

That is Layer -> Layer to Image size
(06-16-2020, 08:07 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote: I just paste an oversize image into a smaller fixed layer size.  Is there another setting for paste, so the operation acts like the "delete cropped pixels" setting in Crop?

That is Layer -> Layer to Image size

I don't think that would apply to a floating selection.  and also if there are multiple layers, it would resize to the largest.

what I am attempting is to use the layer as a cropping boundary for the pasted image, which is what prior versions of GIMP did.
Hmmm... Gimp 2.8 applies an alpha lock when the paste is made: example: https://i.imgur.com/Ill0OPp.mp4

In Gimp 2.10.20 apply the alpha lock -> Paste Then Crop to content to replicate Gimp 2.8 example: https://i.imgur.com/onqir1R.mp4

Bug or intentional ? I do not know.