Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Path transformation challenge
In order to create a symetrical path, I drew and shaped half, then duplicated the path. I then tried using Image > Transform > Flip Horizonally with path mode selected to flip the path copy. I had only one selected. Both paths flipped. The same thing happened when I moved one of the paths and when I clicked off visibility on one. What finally worked was to copy and delete one of the paths, flip the remaining one, and paste the first back in. 

Exploring the situation further, I created a random new path. When I flipped it, all paths flipped.

Single paths within a collection can be stroked or turned into selections. Why won't single paths flip?
When you use Image>Transform>Flip, you flip the image and so flip everything in it: layers, channels, paths, the selection mask..... What you want is the Flip tool in Path  mode.

And maybe you want to have a look at my path-mirror script that improves on this, because it can splice together the two halves (the original and the flipped copy) and create properly closed strokes.
(02-18-2019, 12:39 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: When you use Image>Transform>Flip, you flip the image and so flip everything in it: layers, channels, paths, the selection mask..... What you want is the Flip tool in Path  mode.

And maybe you want to have a look at my path-mirror script that improves on this, because it can splice together the two halves (the original and the flipped copy) and create properly closed strokes.

Big slap on the side of the head! I thought there was such a tool and went carefully down the toolbox, one at a time as well as searching all the menus. Something seemed off about that Image > Transform > Flip routine, but that's what I could find. NOW I see that flip tool.

Thanks for the link to the scripts. I'll give them a try. But I'm curious. I merged the visible layers (all two of them) and that seemed to close the path. Is this correct? The value I see in your script is not having to move the mirrored path into correct alignment.
(02-18-2019, 05:28 AM)Ritergeek Wrote: I merged the visible layers (all two of them) and that seemed to close the path. Is this correct? The value I see in your script is not having to move the mirrored path into correct alignment.

When you merge the visible paths (and not layers...) you just get  a path that combines all the strokes, so for instance if you start from a half circle (3 anchors), merging paths with one half-circle plus one half-circle gives you visually a circle but you still have two strokes (and 6 anchors). With my script you would get one single truly circular stroke (4 anchors).
So, what I see is not necessarily what I get, that is, a single unit with (in this case) four nodes that appears as a single path on the Paths list. GIMP remembers its origin of two downstrokes and that fact may influence GIMP behavior. I see now that stroking with a star set at 112 spacing has the stars mirrored also.

I so appreciate all the refinements I learn on this forum from wizards like you as bonus dividends for asking simple questions! Thank you for your patience with newbies!