Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pencil and Eraser with different settings simultaneously?
Hi,

I am using Gimp 2.8.18 on Debian 9 64-bit Gnome 3.22.2.

I use Pencil (and Paintbrush) and Eraser fairly often, and I find it inconvenient to set each tool differently (e.g., the size) each time I use them. Would it be possible to set, say, the size of the Pencil to 2 and the size of the Eraser to 20 permanently, I mean for the ongoing session?

This would eliminate the need to set the sizes anew each time I use a different tool.

Thanks
You can set it in Edit > Preferences

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-27-2018, 05:06 PM)Blighty Wrote: You can set it in Edit > Preferences

Thank you, but is was a bad idea. Deactivating Brush in "Paint options shared between tools" made the Eraser unfunctionable, as did deactivating all tools in the tool options setting. In addition, Gimp got "confused" and I had to erase the folder ".gimp-2.8" in my home directory and logout/login again to restore a proper Gimp.
(02-27-2018, 05:51 PM)gnuimpcub Wrote: Thank you, but is was a bad idea. Deactivating Brush in "Paint options shared between tools" made the Eraser unfunctionable, as did deactivating all tools in the tool options setting. In addition, Gimp got "confused" and I had to erase the folder ".gimp-2.8" in my home directory and logout/login again to restore a proper Gimp.

Sorry to hear of the mishap. I have no idea how that could have happened. That screenshot is how my Gimp is set up.
No worries, Blighty, I keep imporant settings backupped. Which version of Gimp are you using, on which platform (Windows, Linux,..)?
(02-27-2018, 06:32 PM)gnuimpcub Wrote: No worries, Blighty, I keep imporant settings backupped. Which version of Gimp are you using, on which platform (Windows, Linux,..)?

I'm using 2.8.22 and Windows 10
But I used those same settings on older versions with no problems.
(02-27-2018, 05:51 PM)gnuimpcub Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 05:06 PM)Blighty Wrote: You can set it in Edit > Preferences

Thank you, but is was a bad idea. Deactivating Brush in "Paint options shared between tools" made the Eraser unfunctionable, as did deactivating all tools in the tool options setting. In addition, Gimp got "confused" and I had to erase the folder ".gimp-2.8" in my home directory and logout/login again to restore a proper Gimp.

A bit of over-reaction here. It could likely be fixed easily (also running without problems with separate options), Kubuntu 16.04 and Gimp 2.8.22. My money on the possibility that the pencil got set to the "clipboard" brush (with nothing in the clipboard)...
I think the same, I always have that option set but after unticking and painting, enabling the eraser tool and the brush jumped to the empty clipboard. Easy to overlook.

This in Bohdi Linux, Gimp 2.8.22

[Image: Au5FQJu.jpg]
Big Grin 
Thank you, you were right about the eraser error! Both eraser and pen now work independently when the pen is inactivated as described in the previous posts. But Gimp keeps to be "confused" when the tools are deactivated:

This is how a normal Gimp (tools activated) looks in the upright corner: Activated.png, the first one left

And this is how it looks when the tools are deactivated: Deactivated,png, the second one left.

Obviously, in the latter case I loose the ability to modify the size of the Gimp window Sad  because this little square between "-"  and "x" is missing. Well, seems I cannot have both worlds Wink

P.S.I did not check what other features of Gimp are affected by the deactivations.

Attached Files Image(s)

I will keep the pen/eraser-working-independently Gimp version. My problem solved. Thank you Smile