Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permission denied
When using Engrampa to open a zip file, I get

Gimp Opening file for reading: Permission Denied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lssszfojm6qxd...d.png?dl=0
For those who are wondering 'Engrampa' seems to be the default archive manager for a 'Mate' linux DE.

I can open a zipped png (1). Then open that from 'Engrampa' (2) with Gimp (3) (Gimp 2.10.8 Mint 19 VM) Opens OK.
screenshot: [Image: JbawbY8.jpg]

I can see the temporary file in ~/.cache, so your screenshot looks correct as to the source.

Are you 100% sure that the zipped png is not broken in some way? Can you extract it and check the permissions and properties. Will the extracted file open with Gimp ?

If still not working post the zipped png somewhere so it can be checked.
Zipped png is not broken. I can extract and open it fine in Gimp.

Put a copy here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmte7g2rkzdy43...g.zip?dl=0

I just found out it occurs with other zip files containing images.

There is definitely a problem.
Since Gimp won't open ZIP files, I assume that Engrampa makes a temporary version of the file somewhere.

Check if that copy of the file is still open by some other process using lsof /path/to/the/file. It is possible that Gimp check that the file is writable, which is not the case if it is still open by some other process.
(03-28-2019, 10:30 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Since Gimp won't open ZIP files, I assume that Engrampa makes a temporary version of the file somewhere.

Check if that copy of the file is still open by some other process using lsof /path/to/the/file. It is possible that Gimp check that the file is writable, which is not the case if it is still open by some other process.

andy@7_~$ lsof /home/andy/.cache/.fr-ZXEAGw/Headshot_Of_Me_3_25_19.png
andy@7_~$

andy@7_~/Downloads$ sudo lsof /home/andy/.cache/.fr-UvQZvL/Headshot_Of_Me_3_25_19.png
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse file system /run/user/1000/doc
Output information may be incomplete.
@Ofnuts
Quote:Since Gimp won't open ZIP files, I assume that Engrampa makes a temporary version of the file somewhere.
Back in my previous post I did find the temorary file as indicated by the error message path.
You can do the same in kubuntu + ARK + Gimp flatpak.

@fixit7
I still can not reproduce the error. I do think it is Gimp. This in a Mint19 + Gimp 2.10.8

Edit: video demo no longer required.

From those new error messages check that you have fuse and gvfs-fuse packages installed.

Just my opinion but I think you are risking losing files if you open them this way.
I uninstalled the Gimp snap package.

Then I installed Gimp using Synaptic.

Problem solved.

Thanks for everyone's help. :-)

Andy