Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo Editing Procedures
Morph to Remove Wrinkles
(This tutorial is taken from my Amazon eBook “Encyclopedia of Photo Editing Procedures Volume 1”)
(Images attached.)
1.     Duplicate the image
2.     Lasso the face and neck
3.     Apply a robust Selective Gaussian Blur to the selection on the duplicate.
4.     Select None.
5.     Select the image layer.
6.     Apply the G’MIC Deformations Morph (interactive) filter with the Active and above option.
7.     Choose a slide.

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the original photo : natural. The others are less or more blurred, known as 'out of focus'. Besides, wrinkles, that's part of life... It is what it is.
Well it is almost an advertisement, if it had a link to Amazon, not permitted. I will let you look it up yourselves.

Always a bit dubious when the free-select tool is describes a lasso, a PS term.

I usually go back to this from almost 10 years ago https://patdavid.net/2014/07/wavelet-decompose-again Again it uses free select to isolate parts of the subject and he does use gmic with one of the smoothing filters. I guess you pays your money and makes your choice.

edit: Well I did have a look up for the ebook, I do not know who it might appeal to, but it is cheap,
(09-06-2023, 08:41 AM)denzjos Wrote: I like the original photo : natural. The others are less or more blurred, known as 'out of focus'. Besides, wrinkles, that's part of life... It is what it is.
denzjos
Your post was helpful, it revealed several deficiencies on my part. This was my first post so I was not certain what the format requirements were.  More explanation was required. The problem addressed is that if there is a feature in a photo that should be removed or moderated: what photo editing should be used. I used wrinkles as an example, with blurring as the remedy.  What the morph filter does is to provide you with a range of options for deciding between feature removal and amount of blur.
Yes, it is what it is. I publish a newsletter for our singles group. One of our members had severe eczema on his face. In the photos that appeared in the newsletter, I tried to de-emphasize the eczema  and present the member.

(09-06-2023, 09:06 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Well it is almost an advertisement, if it had a link to Amazon, not permitted. I will let you look it up yourselves.

Always a bit dubious when the free-select tool is describes a lasso, a PS term.

I usually go back to this from almost 10 years ago https://patdavid.net/2014/07/wavelet-decompose-again  Again it uses free select to isolate parts of the subject and he does use gmic with one of the smoothing filters. I guess you pays your money and makes your choice.

edit: Well I did have a look up for the ebook, I do not know who it might appeal to, but it is cheap,

Rich2005

Yes, it is cheap. I don't need to make money on it, I did that as aerospace mathematician.  I've collected almost a hundred photo editing procedures from various YouTube and other tutorials plus several I developed myself. What I'm looking for is something like the peer review I would receive if I submitted it to a mathematical journal. I intend to post several of these procedures and I'm now convinced that I will indeed receive a robust peer review.
Welcome to gimp-forum.net

Yes, I saw you were a mathematician, with a wide range of interests in graphics editing using (largely) open-source software.

By all means post your procedures and I suppose the tutorials section is as good as any if concerned with Gimp. Otherwise for IrfanView etc, maybe the 'Other Software' section.

You might / might not get comments, any response is not a given.
@ trierwick, a nice video about wavelet-decompose removing imperfections on a face : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxco0mrXvso
rich, thanks for the tip.