Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures won't show in Gimp
I have Gimp 2.8.16 and when I open pictures the files show and sub-files show but when I click the files, there are no pictures there. If I select "show all files" then they show but when I try to load, Gimp doesn't recognize the file name whether GIF, JPeg, etc. Also if I draw something in Gimp there are no extensions to select from to save. Also noticed when I went to "About Gimp" the link to Gimps web page doesn't work. Not sure what went wrong but I do know the last thing I did that could have changed things was when I did a disc clean up. I'm running Window 10 - 64 bit. I've read a lot of old complaints about similar issues but nothing worked or the person helping talked over my head. Not all that savvy with computer operations. Any help or ideas I would love. Thanks
The file type - load / save functions are Gimp plugins.

The first thing to check is the path to the Gimp system plugins. In Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins is there a path 
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins ?  Even if it is there click the Reset then OK and restart Gimp. See if that makes any difference.

A bit more drastic, rename your Gimp User profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8\ folder as a backup. Start Gimp to make a new default and see if files open / save.  Move any resources from the backup to the new profile.

Very rarely needed but if something in Windows has crippled Gimp and you need new install. 
Choose your preference https://download.gimp.org/gimp/v2.8/windows/  for an installer.
Thanks for responding. Appreciate it. I can only get to Edit -> Preferences -> Folders . There is nothing that says plug-ins.  Even though I couldn't get to plug ins I did a reset and restarted and still no plugins.  I did a Gimp reinstall back when I first noticed the problem in early 2022. I didn't try any of your other suggestions yet in case not seeing plug-ins makes a difference in what I should do next. Again, thanks for trying to help.
(11-20-2023, 04:37 PM)Tumbleweed Wrote: I can only get to Edit -> Preferences -> Folders . There is nothing that says plug-ins. ...snip...

If you look at the first screenshot I posted, there is a small plus/minus icon next to the folders name. That expands into all the Gimp path folders.
Now I feel really stupid but yes I do have plug-ins by expanding folders like you said.  The first line has the exact path you have in your example. The second line is this:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
I did a reset, restarted Gimp and that didn't help. Tried highlighting the second line and resetting and restarting Gimp and still no pictures showing. No time to mess with this today but I might try the other suggestions you made when I have some spare time. I really appreciate you helping me. You are a gem!
Well, that "first line" should have your user_name in it (not exactly the same as my example)
This one C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins seems to have an extra \GIMP 2\ from what I consider normal, is that a typo ?

Certainly try the next de-bugging step. Rename your user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 to C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8-backup Then restart Gimp to make a new default user profile and see if you can open an image.
(11-21-2023, 07:48 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Well, that "first line" should have your user_name in it (not exactly the same as my example)
This one C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins seems to have an extra \GIMP 2\ from what I consider normal, is that a typo ?

Certainly try the next de-bugging step. Rename your user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 to C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8-backup Then restart Gimp to make a new default user profile and see if you can open an image.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Also I should have clarified the first line does have my name not yours. lol I now renamed Gimp to be a backup as you said and restarted Gimp but I'm lost on how does one make a new default user profile?
(12-10-2023, 05:27 PM)Tumbleweed Wrote: ...snip... I now renamed Gimp to be a backup as you said and restarted Gimp but I'm lost on how does one make a new default user profile?

I did not say that, I said rename your Gimp User profile which for a regular Gimp 2.8 Windows installation is

C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8

Once renamed. Gimp does not have a User profile and when started makes a new default version (with, hopefully, correct paths)

Looks like that has not worked for you. Next step is re-install Gimp 2.8