Hi, it's me. (Who is me? I dunno man.)

Anyway, I think I'll make this quick.

Here is a rough 20x20 circle at 800%.

[Image: Circle.png]

Is there a quick way I can select the border like this,

[Image: Circle-Border-Around.png]

rather than like this?

[Image: Circle-Border.png]

Oh and BTW I turned antialiasing off for border selections and then couldn't find the switch again. Must have been in Preferences, but I just looked there and I lost it, so no more antialiasing border selections for me. Ah well, I want it that way usually anyway, since I'm mostly just working with pixel stuff.

And I also just uploaded to ImgBB because the top bar didn't have options to attach images, but now that I'm about to post it, I see the part at the bottom, so that's a bit silly.
If it is a one-off then use the quick mask to make the selection. 0ne pixel pencil for hard edges - go round the edge to make the selection you want.

Otherwise, and no guarentee for other shapes
Make the initial selection
Shrink the selection by 2 pixels
Grow the selection by 1 pixel

Then up to you how you change to a border, this example, use the alpha-lock, invert the selection.

https://i.imgur.com/y3iXPNY.mp4

notes:
The anti-alias toggle is in the tool-options. If you have closed the tool-options dock, then don't, reinstate it.
Don't know version of Gimp you are using? In the Help menu -> About It will tell you in big letters.
  • Alpha to selection on your current layer
  • Select>To path
  • Add a transparent layer
  • Select>None
  • Edit>Stroke path in Stroke line mode and use a line width slightly under a pixel (.7 or .8 pixel)
  • Alpha to selection on the result
  • Select>Sharpen