Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins path
Hi, I have plugins at

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

But none of them appears inside GIMP in Windows 10. I copied the plugins from Ubuntu What to do now ?
(08-24-2021, 03:16 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Hi, I have plugins at

But none of them appears inside GIMP in Windows 10. I copied the plugins from Ubuntu What to do now ?

First off, wrong place, for system-wide C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins   (that is lib not share, where did you get that path ?)

Next for you only, a better place is your user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

Then, from linux, python plugins will work, binary plugins not-going-to-work.

Finally, which version of Gimp is this ? Hope not a 2.99 development version Wink
2.10.24 rev 3

I am not able to place them inside lib > path. App data works for now Smile

Thanks.
(08-24-2021, 04:31 PM)meetdilip Wrote: 2.10.24 rev 3

I am not able to place them inside lib > path. App data works for now Smile

explanation: Windows C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins is equivalent to linux /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ and you need 'Admin' permission to use that, same as linux. In my Win10 VM security is pathetic, just asks if I want to Wink
The Windows  ...appdata/roaming.. folders are equivalent to your home ~/.config/GIMP/ folders.

Same as linux, nothing to stop you adding your own path(s) to a more convenient location.
(08-24-2021, 03:16 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Hi, I have plugins at

That is the path for Gimp 2.8
I will try to use open as admin or something. There was no prompt when I tried.

edit: sorry editing wrong post - rich
Trying to advise you not to put anything there. Use the user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

The reason being, next time you update Gimp (and you will) anything in the system folders are lost. Anything in the user profile remains. (the same applies for all the resources, brushes, scripts, fonts......)
Thanks. I have them in AppData now, luckily Smile
(08-25-2021, 09:24 AM)meetdilip Wrote: Thanks. I have them in AppData now, luckily Smile

did you get your plug-in work?
I am using windows10 and put in users/.... folder, which doesn't appear in the gimp menu.
I am trying startrail.py
source code below
https://github.com/gfurlich/StarTrails