Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export Image Properties Comment Default
Hi, All,
I've tried searching both online and in the forums for how to do this, so I'm sorry if it's been answered and I'm not clever enough to figure out how to find what I'm looking for.

Seemingly at Random, when exporting an image as JPEG, I get this:
[Image: screenshot-from-2022-02-03-07-41-31.png]

I would like to know how to turn this off.  I attempted to remove the default comment ("Created with GIMP", in Edit->Preferences, Default Image, Comment).  I used the "Save Defaults" feature on the dialog itself (which I admit, I'm not sure if I have to then load the defaults, but that seems counterintuitive to the term default).

Occasionally, I have found the export also exports a title property that I also cannot figure out how to remove. 

Can someone please explain how I can remove these things. I'm fine with a "from here forward" sort of solution (I recognize the images I open may have this stored somewhere already), but I would prefer not having to deal with this.  It's sporadic, but frequent enough to send me down the rabbit hole and annoying enough to cause me to create a topic here.

Thanks.
(02-03-2022, 02:50 PM)SomeUser Wrote: Hi, All,
I've tried searching both online and in the forums for how to do this, so I'm sorry if it's been answered and I'm not clever enough to figure out how to find what I'm looking for.

Seemingly at Random, when exporting an image as JPEG, I get this:
[Image: screenshot-from-2022-02-03-07-41-31.png]

I would like to know how to turn this off.  I attempted to remove the default comment ("Created with GIMP", in Edit->Preferences, Default Image, Comment).  I used the "Save Defaults" feature on the dialog itself (which I admit, I'm not sure if I have to then load the defaults, but that seems counterintuitive to the term default).

Occasionally, I have found the export also exports a title property that I also cannot figure out how to remove. 

Can someone please explain how I can remove these things. I'm fine with a "from here forward" sort of solution (I recognize the images I open may have this stored somewhere already), but I would prefer not having to deal with this.  It's sporadic, but frequent enough to send me down the rabbit hole and annoying enough to cause me to create a topic here.

Thanks.
I've never seen this - is there a common feature in the source of the images for which this happens? For example they could all be from the same camera or mobile.

If you have one such image that has never been edited and saved/exported by GIMP (and you should really keep copies of the original files) is the comment already set like this?
Gimp keeps the comment from the source image.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to have no comment at all. The best you can do is set a default comment (if not empty, set to one character) and use it to replace the existing comment, but this requires an explicit trip to Image ➤ Properties
The not so good news
Going to Image > Image Properties > Comment , does require a visit for each image affected
The not so bad news
Stated by Ofnuts you can have just one character, since your in there have a bit of fun with this annoying process and make up a comment just for/of you
"SomeUser Gimped this on 'Linux/Windows' (you chose one)
Makes an annoyance a smile everytime.
Regards
ReDraw
(02-03-2022, 05:06 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote: I've never seen this - is there a common feature in the source of the images for which this happens? For example they could all be from the same camera or mobile.

If you have one such image that has never been edited and saved/exported by GIMP (and you should really keep copies of the original files) is the comment already set like this?

I think I have to say 'no' to both of these, but I think I can do some more trouble shooting based on this.  All my photos  in question are shot with the same camera. I edit the RAW files in darktable and I usually only do image resizings and watermark application in GIMP.   And no, the comment is not preset -- it's sporadically applied, and I usually only notice it when I upload it for use in my blog (because if fills into a form field there).

(02-03-2022, 05:31 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Gimp keeps the comment from the source image.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to have no comment at all. The best you can do is set a default comment (if not empty, set to one character) and use it to replace the existing comment, but this requires an explicit trip to Image ➤ Properties

I will give this a try. Thank you.

(02-03-2022, 06:09 PM)Redraw Wrote: The not so good news
Going to  Image > Image Properties > Comment , does require a visit for each image affected
The not so bad news
Stated by Ofnuts you can have just one character, since your in there have a bit of fun with this annoying process and make up a comment just for/of you
"SomeUser Gimped this on 'Linux/Windows' (you chose one)
Makes an annoyance a smile everytime.
Regards
ReDraw

Haha, well, I guess that's something.

It's frustrating to me when software does stuff I don't ask it to do and doubly so when there's no apparent way to make it stop doing that thing.

Thank you all for the suggestions; I appreciate it.