Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preference setting glitch
I just reset my default new image size in Preferences to 1350 x 1350. That's a great size for experimenting with brush size, colors, etc. My current active image is 2400 x 1800. Immediately after changing that Preferences setting, I clicked to open a new image, and the listed size is 2400 x 1800. What am I missing about Preferences? Is that not a durable setting?
The default new image size in Preferences only applies if there are no images open. Otherwise it opens the same size as the current image.
(04-21-2019, 04:09 PM)Blighty Wrote: The default new image size in Preferences only applies if there are no images open. Otherwise it opens the same size as the current image.

Thanks Blighty. I was afraid that might be the case. It's apparently so for most all the settings, like layer and path names. I can think of lots more reasons to stick with defaults all the time than to have everything duplicate the open image. Too bad we don't have the option to unhook them!
Blighty gave the answer. I assembled some screenshots on the subject. Might help in future.

Quote:.. Too bad we don't have the option to unhook them!...

1. Is the Preferences dialogue.
2. Is File -> New dialogue when there is no other image open. Corresponds to the default sizes
3. Is the default Templates - starting with A0

4. With a image open, File -> New takes the canvas size from the open image.
5. What you can do is add the required default to the templates list.

6. Find that in File -> Create Template Make a canvas the size...etc you want. Give it a name.
7. Where to find it? In your user profile templaterc file. Want to get rid of it? Delete the templaterc file. Gimp will make a new default on a restart.
(04-21-2019, 04:27 PM)Ritergeek Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 04:09 PM)Blighty Wrote: The default new image size in Preferences only applies if there are no images open. Otherwise it opens the same size as the current image.

Thanks Blighty. I was afraid that might be the case. It's apparently so for most all the settings, like layer and path names. I can think of lots more reasons to stick with defaults all the time than to have everything duplicate the open image. Too bad we don't have the option to unhook them!

You can create a template image of that size, so selecting your favorite size is just a click away.
(04-21-2019, 04:45 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 04:27 PM)Ritergeek Wrote:

You can create a template image of that size, so selecting your favorite size is just a click away.

Smile  Thanks for those screen shots. You do make things perfectly clear. As it happens, GIMP has a predefined template by that size (Toilet Paper, I always grin when I see that), but it's way far down the list.

NOW, on a whim I just opened the Templates dialogue and discovered that I can arrange the order of those templates in the list by dragging the name up or down. Woo hoo!  TP is now at the top.

BTW, a quick check shows that the size of a new image depends not only on an open image, but on the ACTIVE open image if you have more than one open.