Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure sensitivity with XP-Pen Deco 01 Tablet does not work
Hello everybody,

I recently tried to set up the XP-Pen Deco 01 Tablet for GIMP. With the setup tool "PenTabletSetting" I can see that drivers are installed correctly and pressure sensitivity works. The pressure sensitivity also works with the app "artRage Lite".

However, when using the tablet with GIMP, the pressure sensitivity does not work. Moving the cursor and drawing lines etc. via the tablet works well. I did some research and tried every solution approach I could find (restart, reinstalling GIMP & tablet driver, different settings for the entry "input devices"). I set the input devices to mode "screen" and tried the dynamic "Pressure Size".

I found a similar problem here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/2390
But when using the provided library, I cannot start GIMP anymore (probably because it was developed for an outdated version).

I am using GIMP 2.10.24.

Maybe someone knows another approach I can try?

Thanks in advance!
You will not get very far without a working tablet driver. The tablet works as a mouse.
Are you using the latest drivers ? https://www.xp-pen.com/download-298.html
There very recent updated ones, note the caveats

XP-PENMac_3.2.2_211029(New UI Driver)
Warm Reminder: Mac Mojave 10.14 or Above needs to add the "PenTablet.app" and "PenTablet_Driver.app" into the accessibility list first after installed XP-PEN Driver. Details steps please see the FAQ section.
Nov 04,2021 AM 11:53

There is a dedicated forum, https://www.xp-pen.com/forum-110.html  worth a post there.

I usually scorn these tablets, recommend Wacom to ensure working, however I recently bought a very cheap VIEKK A50 (which I suspect is close to a X-Pen). Works perfectly in linux. Have to eat my words.

Edit: You might be waiting a long time here for another MacOS X-pen user to reply.
For what it is worth this is the setup in my linux machine with the viekk tablet. There might be something in there that applies. Only a couple of minutes duration.

Oh, I totally forgot to add my OS, I wonder how you could divine that  Big Grin

I just now updated it to macOS Big Sur 11.6, after deinstalling the old tablet driver and removing the accessibility list entries. I then got the according XP-Pen driver (XP-PENMac_3.2.2_211029(New UI Driver)) for Big Sur.
"PenTablet.app" and "PenTablet_Driver.app" are added to the list for „Accessibility“ and „Input Monitoring“.

So the setup should be correct. Everything is still working fine in the tool "artrage Lite".

In GIMP I still see the following input devices (no changes to yesterday):
Core Pointer
Quartz Cursor
Quartz Eraser
Quartz Pen
I guess the Quartz Pen is the XP-Pen. Still no pressure functionality, as you said: basically working as a mouse. That’s why I thought this would be a GIMP issue. Also, with the new driver there is now a lag when drawing a line (again, only in GIMP).

I basically have the same settings as you on your Linux machine. I set the Quartz Pen to „Screen“ and played around with the pressure curve and the dynamic mode.

You’re right, in hindsight a Wacom would probably have been the better choice. When buying something for the first time, it’s always difficult to choose the selection criteria, I didn’t think too much about SW compatibility. I just wanted something simple to try out before making a bigger investment. Next time I’ll be wiser  Smile

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input so far!