Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Print preview always opens pdf reader not the plugin
Using GIMP 2.10
When I choose print from the menu a dialog opens and I choose my printer from the list.
When I click on "print preview", my pdf reader opens. The dialog from the print plugin does not open. The print plugin is installed. I cannot find a setting to change this. My previous version of GIMP did not behave this way.
I am using linux and recently upgraded to Magiea 9, but I do not see how that would have an effect.
The GIMP I am using is a package from the distro.

Thank you
No real help, just info. The print preview works here kubuntu 22.04 / Gimp 2.10.34 installed from a 'buntu PPA

Running Gimp from a terminal, it does look like it tries my PDF viewer evince but fails.

Running Gimp from a terminal, any clues ?
(10-28-2023, 04:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote: No real help, just info. The print preview works here kubuntu 22.04 / Gimp 2.10.34 installed from a 'buntu PPA

Running Gimp from a terminal, it does look like it tries my PDF viewer evince but fails.

Running Gimp from a terminal, any clues ?

Thank you. I ran it from CLI and got this error. It appears to try to fine evince (which I do not have installed) and then reverts to the app I use for mimetype pdf.  But the old print plugin dialog does not appear. Not sure what to do.

Code:
(print:1003633): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:54:07.331: Error launching preview Failed to execute child process “evince” (No such file or directory)

(print:1003633): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 12:54:07.333: /usr/share/applications/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.
 Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.
So I downloaded evince to see what happens and choosing "print preview" opens evince.
It appears that "print preview" creates a pdf and opens the chosen pdf viewer available on the system. I can print from it and adjust the printing from the  pdf viewer. I guess that is the way it is supposed to work. (by the way I tried GIMP 2.99 and the behavior is the same.
More info Not Magiea but maybe relevant:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions...175688767/
(10-28-2023, 05:51 PM)rich2005 Wrote: More info Not Magiea but maybe relevant:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions...175688767/

So that behavior isn't exactly new... Btw, this works fine on my Kubuntu 22.04. Nothing configured in ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and the preview opens (upside-down) in Okular.
If - often a big IF - you have the linux gutenprint plugin and it works with your printer, then you can get a half-decent preview.