Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing Problem
Hi Users of the famos Gimp-Software,

i use Gimp now about one year in the almost actual stable version. Since then i printed directly from Gimp to my A2-Fotoprinter, every thing was fine.
Now i got a new A1 Printer (Epson SC-P7500) and Gimp only shows A4 Papersize and Roll in Page-adjustment. I can choose any other paper format or single sheet what the printerdriver offers, close the Box but it did not any change. When opening Gimp Page adjustment it shows again A4 from Roll. Also Print-Size of GimpMenue has no effect.
In Printer-driver i can change also Paper and a lot of other things and they take affect, but at printing the image is always A4-size. Tested this with Gimp in Win10 and other PC with Win7.

All other Image-Software works fine (MS-Foto, XnView-MP, Paint, LibreOffice-Draw ...), can choose the paper size and image-size and printing works ok.

What i am doing wrong, please ?

regards, 
Bert
(10-05-2023, 11:28 AM)Dago-Bert Wrote: ....snip....
What i am doing wrong, please ?

Probably doing nothing wrong.
The gimp-print.exe is an (old) plugin and it might not work with your new printer. I recall the Gimp devs were looking for someone to update it.  It just links to the manufacturers printer driver, so check that everything is equivalent in page setup / print / printer driver interface.

There are some settings held in a User Profile file C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\print-page-setup You could check that and delete it. Gimp will make a new one.

Otherwise, using one of those other programs for printing is your best bet.
Hi Rich2005,

thank you for your reply.
It helps me understanding, i deleted the setup-file. No improve.

Like i wrote, at page-setup in Gimp it don't take my inputs, i can choose 'Landscape' but it is always 'Portrait' selected when i open this function again. (the margins are remembered, but the print size in the Image-Menue also has no effect anymore)

Printing FineArt or photos on such a high quality and big format printer is always a interactive procedure. After looking at the preview in printerdriver you have to come back often to play with parameters befor the final print. Not only the layout, for example you change the colors, the ICC-profiles, the exposure or the black-level of the picture.

Now i have always first save/export the picture to another file-format, open it in another software, check the preview of printing there, go back to Gimp doing changes, export again ...

... very sad that i can't do this directly in Gimp (like before with Canon printer). And my new printer is only new for me, it is in the market for years. I think this happens to all Epson FineArt Printers !

Printing is important for 'Image-Manipulating-Software', isnt it ?
I hope Gimp comes back to a professional level soon.

Regards, Bert
(10-07-2023, 10:54 AM)Dago-Bert Wrote: PrintinPrinting is important for 'Image-Manipulating-Software', isnt it ?
I hope Gimp comes back to a professional level soon.

Are you using the latest Gimp 2.10.34 I do not suppose it makes any difference. The problem is the Windows part. Gimp is developed in linux and for example I can print perfectly using the linux gutenprint plugin. Not all image editors support printing, Krita, make your image, export it, print in something else.

There is a bug report about the paper size https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9394
Thank you for your hints !

- i have installed newest stable Gimp, now also on Mint.
- i tried Gutenprint (i have some Linux systems running, Linux-CNC, al my communication and Office-Use on Mint ...)
- but it has no Color-Management and is only Experimental with al Epson Fine-Art printers and mine one.

On my Linux-Mint it only produces errors at my printer and it did not print anything (less than Gimp on Windows ;--))

So Gimp on Linux is also not a solution for me unfortunately.
Gutenprint: Oh.... that was not a hint Smile I did look up Epson SC-P7500 on the supported printers site - nothing really.

Going to buy a printer for linux, check that it is supported first.

I once had a Cannon printer, Cannon linux support was hopeless, I did try TurboPrint, and had problems with that as well. Plenty Epson listed but Epson SC-P7500 support not listed there either might be worth asking the TurboPrint guy for advice.

A quick look for linux https://www.epson.eu/en_EU/support/sc/ep...00/s/s1751 version 1 but dated 2022 so reasonably recent.

otherwise back to using some other application for printing.