Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing from gimp
I want to print two 5 x 7 pics on 8.5 x 11 paper but oriented so that the pics are side by side. 7 inches along the 8.5 dimension and two 5 inches, total 10 inches, along the 11 inch dimension. Can Gimp do this? I'm having trouble figuring this out. If Gimp can't do this what other software would be good at this? 
Thanks.

(Of course I could just get 5 x 7 paper but I want to make use of my 8.5 x 11 paper.)
From you previous post, you have your printer under control.

I might do something like this:

(1) Use US letter size, it is a default Gimp template and already set to 300 ppi suitable for printing. Import the photos as layers, arrange them and scale down or up as required.  Not shown but you might just get away with 2 x 5 ", you will see why in a minute. (see 4)
(2) Not shown using the Gimp default (horrible) black theme, use the System theme which has that "ignore page margins" box
(3) Depends on the printer and the printer software but try and get the X Y resolution down to 300, otherwise when printed the image is scaled down to fit the margins.

(4) If necessary  trim the image shaving off the right and bottom reducing the dimensions of the canvas. This one down to 8" x 10"
(5) That permits a X Y resolution of 300 ppi, Set the top left corner to zero. The shaved off borders are just taken up by the 8.5" x 11" paper. 
The only snag being the 5 x 7 images will butt together along their edge.

There are other ways, not Gimp use LibreOffice, but it is a similar process.
Thanks!