Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing on Large Format Paper...
Hello!

First time poster here with a question that is puzzling me. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have an image that is 3000x4000 pixels. According to GIMP, the image in inches is 10"x13" as seen in this pic...

[Image: 1.png]

In scale image, it shows that as well...
[Image: 2.png] 

So I have some 13x19 photo paper that I want to print his on. I have the correct paper size selected...
 [Image: 3.png] 

Here's my print preview...
 [Image: 4.png] 

But then my result is this...What am I doing wrong in GIMP? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
[Image: result.jpg]
Printing from Gimp can be fraught... I once had a Canon inkjet that in theory printed from roll paper - great for panoramas - except there must have been a print buffer somewhere that ran out and truncated the print after about 14 inches.

However, assuming your printer will print 19 inches long in portrait mode. 
I would be inclined not to scale the image but adjust the printing resolution. Something like this.
The image print properties Image -> Print size as your image 3000 x 4000 px @ 300 ppi
Then in File -> Print the page setup and from there the custom paper size. (My current printer goes nowhere near 19")

Then in the next tab,  Image settings, Change the resolution to suit, set the margins as required, enable Ignore Page margins.

An alternative is not use Gimp for printing, maybe use LibreOffice.

edit: Just out of interest, which printer is it ? Can you use it with the gutenprint plugin ?
Thanks for the suggestion(s), I'll give it a try. As for my printer, it's a Canon Pixma Pro-100 so it'll do 13x19. Haven't tried the Gutenprint plugin. I'll check it out. Thanks again.
(07-25-2021, 06:07 PM)pinegrovedave Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion(s), I'll give it a try. As for my printer, it's a Canon Pixma Pro-100 so it'll do 13x19. Haven't tried the Gutenprint plugin. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

I think you will be out of luck. The official Canon site as usual only has drivers for OSX or Windows. https://i.imgur.com/P7LRB4h.jpg  and your Canon Pixma Pro-100 is not listed on the gutenprint site. A look at the 'buntu repo for Canon Printers only list a generic package. It will be the same for your distro. That is most probably your printing problem.

One way is to purchase a printer plugin https://www.turboprint.info/  I did that as well when I had that Canon printer. Not a great success, and not a lot of support. None, when I pointed out it would not use the black ink. They might have improved since then.
Well, I tried those settings in GIMP to no avail, but printing large format (13x19) out of LibreOffice Draw was a snap...just Format->Page Properties, change the height and width, insert the image and print. All too easy. Thanks for the tip Rich.