Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem With Color Exchange in 2.10
Hello all. I used GIMP 2.8 for my pixel art hobby for about 7 years, but I got a new computer yesterday (MacBook Pro M1, 2020) and decided I should make the switch to 2.10. Despite my longtime use, I only use a handful of tools and, as I'm not super tech-y, I'm always very nervous to mess around with any advanced settings.

One tool I use a ton is Color Exchange, and I never had problems with it on 2.8 using whatever the default settings were. However, now I'm running into a problem where the built-in color selector tool is seemingly coming up with random colors when I click on what I want to change from/to (I haven't messed around with any settings, at least not knowingly). I'll include a screenshot to illustrate the issue. You can see the color it came up with when I clicked the bright yellow is a much more muted yellow. This has happened to multiple colors on multiple layers (though weirdly it sometimes gets it right – it's a crapshoot). I'd really appreciate any advice you could give. Thanks so much!

Screenshot:     
Quote:...(though weirdly it sometimes gets it right – it's a crapshoot)...

It could well be yet another MacOS + bigsur OS incompatibility with Gimp 2.10

It might / might not help if you give more information. A full screenshot, even better a small example Gimp xcf file.

Are you using old Gimp 2.8 files. There is a legacy setting (1) and diiferences in layer modes (2) then the Gimp 2.10 Colour Exchange is a GEGL opereation and some settings are in a diiferent place (3)

Unfortunately not many (none) active MacOS users on this forum, come ask a question and go.
(06-12-2021, 04:10 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...(though weirdly it sometimes gets it right – it's a crapshoot)...

It could well be yet another MacOS + bigsur OS incompatibility with Gimp 2.10

It might / might not help if you give more information. A full screenshot, even better a small example Gimp xcf file.

Are you using old Gimp 2.8 files. There is a legacy setting (1) and diiferences in layer modes (2) then the Gimp 2.10 Colour Exchange is a GEGL opereation and some settings are in a diiferent place (3)

Unfortunately not many (none) active MacOS users on this forum, come ask a question and go.

Thanks for the reply! I tried the things you mentioned but nothing has changed. I had the legacy settings on already, apparently. From what I've seen so far, the problem seems to cause colors to become less saturated and sometimes moves around the color wheel entirely (not just the saturation). I've also discovered that even clicking two different spots on the exact same color can come up with two different outputs. Yet this is only an issue within the Color Exchange tool. The regular Color Picker works perfectly well.

Here's an example GIMP file I was testing on: 
.xcf   GIMP Problem Example.xcf (Size: 1.42 MB / Downloads: 191)

Screenshot of when I tried to select the bright yellow: [b]     [/b]
Screenshot of when I tried to select the lightest shade of gray:     
Screenshot of when I clicked a different spot on the same shade of gray:     
Nice little graphic, it makes sense now, I should have realised that pixel size graphic was involved. You should find the GEGL color exchange better than the  Gimp 2.8 with that small window.
The GEGL color picker comes into play. Default size is 3, that averages the colors in the square. 
You can get that down to 1 but still might have difficulty finding a suitable spot to pick from.
Turn it off and it should be OK.  Those three options sorry for the poor screenshots, more -haste...

A better way for this subject is don't use the GEGL picker. 
Click in the color bar and a regular color change comes up, with a regular picker icon. Use that.

Of course, It might still be a weird, MacOS / bigsur issue.
Thank you so much! That really clears it up, both getting rid of the averaging feature and using the regular color picker work, so now I have two options for when I need them. Thanks again, this is a real life-saver! I had given up at one point and tried re-downloading 2.8, but it looked horribly distorted with this computer's screen resolution, so I thought I might be out of options.