Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Problem adding a larger layers
I'm trying to add layers to an existing image (photograph) using GIMP 2.10.  The purpose is to create a frame that is larger than the image.  By having it in a separate layer the color can be altered and optionally text added without having any affect on the photograph. 

When using the "Add Layer" (also called "New Layer") selection GIMP seems to create something that is larger but the transparent part is limited to the same space as the original layer.  Then when performing "Fill with FG Color" the only part that is filled is the transparent part occupying the same space as the original layer.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug or possibly something that can't be done by design?
I did the following:
- open a (small) image
- open a (larger) image (whatever, not necessarily a frame)
- duplicate the larger image (to leave the original as it is)
- edit copy the small image and paste as a new layer into the duplicated larger one (automarically gimp set it at centre)
- add alpha channel (transparency) to the top small layer
- apply layer to image size for the top layer (you get the full margin around as transparent)
- do whatever you like on the bottom larger layer (filling, modifying colours, brightness...I just increased the contrast)
You will see all your modifications appear thru the transparent part of the top
When satisfied, flatten the image.
I don't know whether this what was you were asking about.

PS: you may do in the reverse order the combo steps:
- duplicate the small
- add the larger as a new layer (you will not see its full size at the moment)
- move the added layer below
- apply "canvas to image size"
- add alpha to the smaller layer then layer to image size

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Layers are always clipped to the canvas.
So what you need to do is increase the canvas size.
This will create a transparent border around your image (if it has an alpha channel).
You can center the existing image in the canvas size dialogue.
Also remember that the selection is always clipped to the visible canvas.
(05-02-2018, 05:07 AM)dinasset Wrote: I did the following:
- open a (small) image
- open a (larger) image (whatever, not necessarily a frame)
- duplicate the larger image (to leave the original as it is)
- edit copy the small image and paste as a new layer into the duplicated larger one (automarically gimp set it at centre)
- add alpha channel (transparency) to the top small layer
- apply layer to image size for the top layer (you get the full margin around as transparent)
- do whatever you like on the bottom larger layer (filling, modifying colours, brightness...I just increased the contrast)
You will see all your modifications appear thru the transparent part of the top
When satisfied, flatten the image.
I don't know whether this what was you were asking about.

PS: you may do in the reverse order the combo steps:
- duplicate the small
- add the larger as a new layer (you will not see its full size at the moment)
- move the added layer below
- add alpha to the smaller layer then layer to image size

Yes that is how I was doing it with GIMP2.8 but in my case it was as simple as File>New and specify the size I wanted.  However, this new image has no metadata.  Now that GIMP 2.10 has improved the handling of metadata I'm looking for a way to preserve that with my photo, which causes me to think I need to find a way edit the image associated with opening of the photo.

(05-02-2018, 05:26 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: Layers are always clipped to the canvas.
So what you need to do is increase the canvas size.
This will create a transparent border around your image (if it has an alpha channel).
You can center the existing image in the canvas size dialogue.

That's it.  I simply didn't recognize the role of the canvas.  So simple for those who know what they are doing.  Thank you!

(05-02-2018, 06:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Also remember that the selection is always clipped to the visible canvas.
That's also good to know.  Thanks!

(05-02-2018, 06:47 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Also remember that the selection is always clipped to the visible canvas.
That's also good to know.  Thanks!
Ya, you were missing
which is needed if you start with the smallest one and add the largest one as a new layer, as I stated in my post when talking about the "reverse order"
(05-03-2018, 05:17 AM)dinasset Wrote: Ya, you were missing

Don't you mean Image>Fit canvas to layers?
exactly, ofnuts, that's it