Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with animation speed (gif)
Hello there, i'm new to this forum, please excuse my english.

I've created a gif image by combining several layers using filter/animation/optimize difference (or gif) ans set the duration of each frame manually (1200ms for the first and last layer, 600ms for the other ones) by editing the name of the frames.

When previewing result in gimp (filter/animation/replay animation) it works perfectly, but for some reason when i export the result into a gif image, all the frames duration are the same (100ms set by default, wich i can modify when exporting but that doesn't solve the problem).

I tried to double the first and last frame to trick the computer, but gimp detect the doubled frames and set it to 200ms istead of 100ms, wich is not working at the end ..

Worst thing is that the whole operation worked out for some other gif that i made (with same method and sometimes same frames), and didn't work for some others gif. The result seem random to me.

Is someone can explain where i'm doying wrong, it will be greatly appreciated !
Thanks.
I make gifs by replacing the layers not combining them. Your speed seems slow. An avatar I use is 36 frames @ 90ms.

Frame speed and the number of frames interact and so does final size in width x height. Another way to make them is use Gimp to make frames > export them with ofnuts export all layers > upload layers to an online gif maker.
This way you can experiment with different speeds and optimizations. Good luck Smile
Try applying Filters -> Animation -> Optimise (GIF) for combined mode. If you want replace mode then Optimise followed straight away by Unoptimise.   Export with your adjusted timing should now work.

Example: 3' 30" 

Just a mention for Ofnuts useful change timing plugin http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-too...s/scripts/ and look for ofn-retime-layers.zip dated 2021-06-02
Thanks you Tas_mania and rich2005 for your replies.

I manage to solve the problem by saving the not working gif and then reopen it with gimp and then modify a second time the duration of each frame, and then crush the older file (not save a new one), and this time it worked.

I will try also the ofnuts plugins you mentioned, it will certainly help.