Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with color — or maybe brightness, or contrast...
Hello,
Once I'm new here I'm not quite sure if it's the right place to post.
Well, I'm using Gimp 2.10.4 for Windows 10 and today I needed to fix a little detail on a file — I draw very simple comic strips and use GIMP to edit them, put fonts, screentone dots and lines and all that jazz. They're mostly black and white.
I did it and after that I noticed my comic seem to be with lighter colors, like brighter. The tone given by the dots, that should feel like dark gray were seeming to be light gray and the outline, typically black, was thinner.

You can see the comparison here:
[Image: ru3F74V.png]
To the right, the original image. To the left, the new one.
Notice the lines (like in the left shoulder and in the jersey of the character on the first panel) and less bold and the dots on the new one seem to make the image lighter than on the original one.

And they were both done with GIMP 2.10.4, in the same computer they have the same size, they have the same all. The original one was made on Tuesday. I opened it today to make some fixes and it was already like that. And I didn't make any changes or updates on my computer these days.
And although the .PNG images are enough to show it's not any visualization problem on my computer, I tried opening it on another computer (also Windows 10, GIMP 2.10.4) and it was the same.
I opened other files, I opened even the screentone dots files and all of them seem to have their profile changed.

This is so curious I'm even asking myself if a very illogical and unlikely thing would have something to do with it: I opened the files in different cities. The original one, I made back in my hometown where I'm living during the week for a temp job. The fix I made in the current town where I live and spend the weekends.

Can anyone guess the problem and help me?
Looks to me like a Gamma problem (I can compensate for the difference using a reverse-gamma curve in Curves). However, the "BUT THEN..." text is slightly longer in 2.10...
Basically do not know, since everything is in same system, but it is worth checking the layer modes. If several layers then check that they are all Legacy mode.

One thing I do know. Text (especially small text) renders differently in Default mode than Legacy mode. The anti-aliasing is different and Default appears lighter than Legacy.
Weird, I could swear I have answered to you guys.
Anyways, thanks. I'm see if that helps. I'm back to the city where I live and where everything was okay and, of course, this problem persists once there was no way it was a geo-location problem.

Also interesting you guys noticed the "problem" with text too. I didn't mentioned it because in this quote it's barely noticeable once it's too short but yeah it affects text too.

I'll try to follow your recommendations and see what happens and if I can't fix I bump here later — following the forum rules which I'm still to read.