Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with inversing selection
Over the last few weeks I've sporadically had wiggy results when I inversed a selection. Now this seems to be constant. I have an old photo loaded and want to delete the border. I do not want to crop the picture, just delete the border. I drew a path around the image, converted the path to a selection, then used Ctrl+I to inverse it. After several seconds, the entire image, border and all, was filled with dense diagonal moving pixel lines.

I've attached a screenshot of a small section of the inversion on a white background at 100%.

Here are things I unsuccesfully tried in prepartion for posting this matter:

1. Added a new transparent layer and selected that layer.
  2. Added a new white layer.
  3. Made image layers invisible.
  4. Changed from the Path tool to the Move tool.
  5. Tried Selection > Inverse instead of the keyboard shortcut.
None of these worked. Right now I can work around this by cutting out the image portion of that layer, pasting it in position on a new layer and deleting the existing one, but that's not an acceptable long-term solution. That's not how GIMP is supposed to work and not what I'm used to.

As I said, this has been sporadic, and earlier errors picked up splotches from the original selection. Now the mess is on the entire image. It's gotten worse!

Is this a bug or am I  missing something about the upgrade to 2.10.10?

Attached Files Image(s)

This has come up a couple of times. It is a bug of sorts. (possibly connected to Nvidia graphics cards)

Go into Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources and untick OpenCL

(04-28-2019, 07:03 AM)rich2005 Wrote: This has come up a couple of times. It is a bug of sorts. (possibly connected to Nvidia graphics cards)

Go into Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources and untick OpenCL

Thanks Rich. This simple setting made all the difference. Problem immediately solved. 

For the record, my system has an Intel® UHD Graphics 630 graphics card.